Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Pup?

Hi,

First time posting - I have recently acquired a propeller for decoration of a games room. It is clearly marked with Sopwith Pup and many other numbers. I really just wanted to know if you think it is genuine? Are they rare? The propeller is not going to be for sale but a rough idea of value for possible insurance.

Identifying marks/numbers are

4x AID stamps and what looks like an arrow stamp next to it.
    DG P-3012
    D 2550 (which i believe is the diameter - just over 8 feet)
    P 2610 (Pitch)
    Hp 100 mono
    Sopwith Pup
    G537 N47 (also stamped on the opposite side of the hub)

Attached are some images and I apologise in advance for the poor quality!

Thanks
    Ian
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vandella; 02-20-2020, 07:24 PM. Reason: Changing title

It certainly looks original to me. It's hard to duplicate the age appearance visible even in photos. It's nearly identical to this one that I currently have in my collection.

I can't tell if it's been revarnished, as the finish looks a little thicker than usual, but it would take a close inspection to be able to answer that.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

It possibly has been revarnished, it is not thick or no brushmarks but seems in excellent condition if it is orignal and 100 years old.

Before buying I did research to try and find a price (with no luck) I could only find yours online and noticed how similar it was!

Ian

Comment

I would try to insure it for $3000, but the underwriter might balk at that anyway. It's hard to know its true value since the market is small.

Comment

Working...
        X