M FARMAN Wooden propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M FARMAN Wooden propeller

Hi all. First time on forum. I wondered if anybody could help me identify a wooden propeller hub. It says on it:-
    DG 2303
    HP 80 REN
    M FARMAN
    B 24722

If anybody shed any light on this I would be most grateful.
    Thank you.

I'll try to look up that drawing number when I get home and can access my files.

Bob Gardner has a way of beating me to it . . .

Comment

M FARMAN Wooden Propeller

Dbahnson,
      Thank you for your help. I forgot to mention that it has the letters at the beginning:-
      I P C
      Also there is on the hub a small like arrow pointing to the letters W D
      I don’t know if this is of any further help.
      Again, I’m most grateful if you, or anybody else, could shed any light on this propeller.
      Thank you.

Comment

Dave,

I apologise for beating you to it! Shall I enforce a twelve-month sabbatical for myself?

The data on this prop is only partial, which is typical of early WW1 props. The full data would read as;

IPC
        LHP
        D2900
        P2620
        B242772

IPC; The integral Propeller Company, the British subsidiary of the French Integrale Propeller Company.
        LHP; the configuration of the prop, left hand rotation for a pusher prop.
        D2900; prop diameter in mm.
        P2600; pitch of the propeller.
        B242772 the drawing number, where I believe the letter B indicates Made in Britain

This type of aircraft was a two seater used by the British Royal Flying Corps.

Dave, I realise that I have been spoiling your fun and I do apologise. This has come about because Great Britain is several hours ahead of US time. I propose that in future I shall defer answering any posts until after mid-day?

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-17-2020, 04:37 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Ah ! A postscript WD indicates the British War Department.

BobG
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post

Dave, I realise that I have been spoiling your fun and I do apologise. This has come about because Great Britain is several hours ahead of US time. I propose that in future I shall defer answering any posts until after mid-day?

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob, I'm delighted that you responded quickly. I just got back from California, another 3 hours further west of Great Britain than Vermont, and I flew the red-eye to get here, so I'm headed .off to bed before I do much of anything else.

Comment

Sweet dreams, surgeon!

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Thank you very much indeed for all your help and information Bob. I know I’ve asked a lot already but could you please tell me length of the propeller and also what speed the plane would be able to do? I don’t suppose you’d have a picture of the type of plane it is? Again, thank you very much indeed for all your help and information.

Comment

Bob, where abouts in the north of England are you, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m from Hull. Regards Phil.

Comment

I know I’ve asked a lot already but could you please tell me length of the propeller and also what speed the plane would be able to do?
                    Length of the propeller = diameter = 2900 mm

Early M Farman planes were quite slow with top speed of around 95 - 100 km/h

Comment

Phil,

I live in deepest darkest Doncaster. I used to live near Barton-upon-Humber and worked in Hull.

The Maurice Farman was a French design dating from 1913 which was widely used by the French where it equipped thirty seven squadrons, the British had six squadrons, and the Italians Twenty four.

There were two types which the British called the MF Shorthorn and the MF Longhorn.

During WW1 it was used as a recce platform and as a bomber and was still in use in 1918 when WW1 ended.

I'm sure that it will be easy to find reams of info on the internet. Type into Google the words Maurice Farman, Longhorn and Shorthorn.

With kind regards,

BobG
                      Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi,

I don't understand why it have to be a LHP prop: the "80HP" Renault was geared, which explains the very high pitch, but the engine itself was right handed and the prop was fitted to the camshaft (look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_80_hp )

In Bob books, there are RHP and LHP IPC props for Farman (Vol 3 pages 109 to 111). Were there LH Renault?

@ Utahraptor: Is it possible to see a pic of the prop?

Regards,
                        PM

Comment

Counter-rotating props were utilized in some WW1 aircraft, which can explain both left and right hand versions of the same design. Although this prop was for a single engine tractor aircraft, the same design came in a left hand version (see link in description), also stamped for the F2b with the Rolls Royce engine.

I don't know if counter-rotating props were actually put into service of if this might have involved a development/testing process with twin engined service in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
                            Counter-rotating props were utilized in some WW1 aircraft, which can explain both left and right hand versions of the same design. Although this prop was for a single engine tractor aircraft, the same design came in a left hand version (see link in description), also stamped for the F2b with the Rolls Royce engine .../...
                            In the example of the link, there were two design numbers: 3032 and 3033 for Left and right handed. Do you think there could be left and right handed prop of the same design with the same design number?

Regards,
                            PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
                              In the example of the link, there were two design numbers: 3032 and 3033 for Left and right handed. Do you think there could be left and right handed prop of the same design with the same design number?

Regards,
                              PM
                              No, I don't think that would make sense because sooner or later someone would put the right number on an airplane without looking at the thread direction. It obviously would be discovered when it was started (but likely sooner) as the plane backed up as soon the throttle was advanced.

Using a different drawing number makes much more sense, even if it's just the next in number sequence.

Comment

Working...
                              X