Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help with ID on propeller

Hi all,

since i'm a newbie in the propeller world, i would like to ask if someone could shine a light on this prop.
    The propeller is 193 cm (6.3 inch) in lenght. Diameter centre 6,8 cm (2,65 inch) not conical. All black, (painted over?) and leight weighted, approximately 5 kilo.
    The numbers are very faint. Looks like someone carved in some letters by hand. What i can read "gipsy major" p 4-7 89222

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

It's a right hand thread propeller mounted to a Gypsy engine. The numbers are critical, and if you can make them out more clearly you should find a match on this list. There are a lot of possibilities.

If someone has carved into the hub it's essentially ruined as a collectable but can still make for a nice generic display.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
      It's a right hand thread propeller mounted to a Gypsy engine. The numbers are critical, and if you can make them out more clearly you should find a match on this list. There are a lot of possibilities.

If someone has carved into the hub it's essentially ruined as a collectable but can still make for a nice generic display.
      Thanks for your help! The carving is just some scratching in the paint. Think i'm going to remove some of this paint gently. Maybe some more numbers will show up.

Comment

Cel,

By coincidence your prop is made by Horden-Richmond using the Hydulignum process. Find the thread introduced by Dtchacos today listed (wrongly) as an early wooden prop, about six down from the top of the early prop page. This method of manufacture is described at length.

The black finish on your prop is typical of the Hydulignum process. It was used just before WW2 and during WW2 on military aircraft. The Gipsy Major engine (note spelling) powered several low powered RAF training aircraft of which the most numerous was the de Havilland Tiger Moth.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-15-2019, 06:24 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
          Cel,

By coincidence your prop is made by Horden-Richmond using the Hydulignum process. Find the thread introduced by Dtchacos today listed (wrongly) as an early wooden prop, about six down from the top of the early prop page. This method of manufacture is described at length.

As an aside for Dave, we should relist the Dtchacos thread under modern propellers.

The black finish on your prop is typical of the Hydulignum process. It was used just before WW2 and during WW2 on military aircraft. The Gipsy engine (note spelling) powered several low powered RAF training aircraft of which the most numerous was the de Havilland Tiger Moth.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Thank you Bob for your help! Very interesting proces, never heard of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
            As an aside for Dave, we should relist the Dtchacos thread under modern propellers.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Done.

Bob and PM, thanks for your input in that thread. There is a tremendous amount of information that I didn't know even existed about that propeller and others similar to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dbahnson View Post
              It's a right hand thread propeller mounted to a Gypsy engine.
              Left hand thread, surely; direction being determined as seen from the cockpit?

Comment

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
                Left hand thread, surely; direction being determined as seen from the cockpit?
                Correct. My mistake.

Comment

Working...
                X