Is there a way.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way.......

.... of finding out which specific aircraft (Registration) my propeller came from?

It's a long shot I know!

Prop details (side 1):
    DRG NO DH 5220/L/18
    GIPSY III & MAJOR
    D6 1 P19
    LHT

Prop details (side 2)
    LP 672
    6/37

From what I've established so far, and please correct me if wrong, is this:
    • The prop is a Lang Propeller Works propeller built in June 1937
      It was most probably on a D.H.82 Tiger Moth with a Gipsy III engine

Other than this I'm not sure what other information is available and where to look for it. I also have no idea what the other lettering on the hub indicates.

I'd love to learn more of the history of this prop and the aircraft it was on. Any help and advice would be gratefully received and appreciated.

Kind regards
    Attached Files

I don't know of a single instance where that's actually been done, although the information is frequently sought after.

I think the only way would be to have a logbook entry recording the propeller installation match a propeller serial number, but the odds of that happening are very, very low.
    Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I thought it might be the case be thought I'd ask / try.

With regard to the other information on the prop itself. Are my findings thus far accurate? What does the other information mean / relate to?

Many thanks

Comment

Greetings Hercfeend,

Are you a driver of the mighty C130? I spent much of my time in the British Army parachuting ammo, stores and vehicles out of the back of RAF Hercs.

Your interpretation of the data is correct. I've enlarged on it slightly, below, for other forumites.

Propellers on light aircraft operating from grass strips were akin to consumables, like tyres on cars. FOD thrown up by the prop wash (twigs, grass, dust, mole hills etc) all eroded the blades; and the thrust plane of the power gradually elongated the bolt holes, so props might well have been the shortest lifed item on these aircraft. The prop serial number might well have been recorded in the aircraft log book.

DRG NO DH 5220/L/18 This de havilland drawing number is only recorded for the DH 82 Tiger Moth with the Gipsy III engine but I'll add it to my list with the Gipsy Major, for which, many thanks! The drg no DH5220 covered almost every Moth aircraft. DH5220L was for the DH 82 and DH82A Tiger Moths with Gipsy III and Series 1 Gipsy Majors and the DH60G Gipsy Moth. The 18th variation on the theme is only listed for the DH82 Tiger Moth with a Gipsy III engine. I can now add the Gipsy Major engine.
        GIPSY III & MAJOR
        D6 1 P19 This reads D (for diameter) 6.4ft and P (for pitch)4.9ft
        LHT LH rotation tractor prop
        LP 672 the Lang Prop Co serial number
        6/37 June 1937

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob

Thanks for the info and I'm glad my post was of some help to you.

Cheers

Comment

Drg dh 5220 p26

Hi all

I have a propeller left by my grandfather and from what I can make out of the markings here are some of them:

DRG DH 5220 P26
            ?.I.S ??28
            GIPSY 1
            87681 (might be 87631)

Can anyone help?

Comment

Go to this listing and try to see what numbers most closely fit. There may be several possibilities.

It's always harder when the stampings are no longer clearly discernible.

Comment

Working...
              X