Wanted: Supreme and Stone Propellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Supreme and Stone Propellers

I am the grandson of the designer and manufacturer of Supreme Propellers and Stone Propellers, Morris J. Stone. My father (William B. Stone) and his four brothers worked with their dad in Wichita Kansas for many years. I have been searching for over 40 years for a wooden propeller from my family's past. If anyone has one of these props I would appreciate it if you would consider returning it to its original family. I will be glad to offer a nice payment.

Thank you.

Jeff Stone
    Last edited by StonePropellers; 10-24-2009, 10:57 PM.

Do have a Stone Propeller...

Hi Jeff,

I do have a Stone propeller that belonged to my Father.

He got his pilot's license shortly after WWII and owned a plane until he got married in 1950. I'm not sure if this prop came off his plane but I did come across it in the rafters in our basement.

I came to this site just to get some information about the prop & I did read the Stone/Supreme page they have here. This particular prop does have the "not airworthy" stamp on it, so it may just be a prop that my Dad acquired through any of the airports he passed through. I can also dig up a picture of his plane & get some information about the plane as well.

I actually wanted to clean-up the prop (not totally restore it) and display it in memory of my Dad. It is in fairly good shape (but pretty dusty & the metal edges could use a good cleaning).

I'd like to take some pics (stamps, decals & such) & post them & find when it was manufactured. Hopefully you could answer some of those questions.

I'm not 100% against selling it but like to know the worth of it just for the sake of knowing.

Hopefully have some pics in the next few days.
    Look forward to finding out more about this find.

Thanks,
    Chris Nelson

Comment

Chris,

Thank you for your thoughful note. Very excited to learn about your find...and can't wait to see your pics. I will say that cleaning is very delicate and many an owner has severely damaged their props with improper cleaning. I would be glad to visit with you by telephone if you have a moment to talk.

Kind regards,

Jeff

Jeff Stone
      Dallas, Texas
      Last edited by StonePropellers; 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I posted a few pics yesterday, I do no t know why I do not see them today.

Anyways, a few pics of the stamps, decals & a whole prop shot.

Just to give you an idea of it's condition.

Again, just trying to get a bead on it's worth. I'm kind of convinced that this particular prop did not come off the plane my father owned (the hub has no wear) & this looks to be more of a ornamental piece.

Like to hear what you can tell me about it.

Thanks!

Chris
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris,

You have one of the props that was made in Chicago by the Stone Propeller Company made up of my grandfather, four of his brothers and their father, Morris Stone. If you perform a google search you will find some more information about the Stone Propeller Company. I have heard through the Stone family grapevine that after some financial difficulties stemming from cancelled orders from the government the family relocated to Chicago and resumed business with what was known as mob money. A deal was reportedly struck with Piper for wooden propellers in the early to mid 40's. My grandfather, Harry S. Stone, said that Piper wanted to save some money by having the production move quicker with less hands on work. There was also some suggestion that the props might end up in the wrong hands. The Stone brothers worried about safety more than mob enforcers decided to modify the props so they would not achieve enough lift to fly. Those props were marked as "not air worthy." To avoid retribution, the brothers reportedly left town chased by the mob.

I recently bought a two tone prop in what I would consider to be pretty good condition (original brass tips, two tone, limited damage to the finish and stickers in good condition) for $975. I have been told I probably over paid for the prop. I paid the asking price because I had been looking for a Stone prop for over 10 years without much success. If you are interested in selling yours, would you be so kind as to offer it to Jeff Stone? I know he has been looking and would be fair in any dealings with you.

Best,
          Colette

Comment

stone propeller

Hi Jeff,
            I have one of your family's props in very good shape for it's age, two tone with decals. Collete mentioned she paid 975.00 for hers. Since this posting is from 2009 , I'm checking to see if you still want one before I put it on eBay. I'm an antique dealer in New Jersey.
            Ray

Originally posted by StonePropellers View Post
            I am the grandson of the designer and manufacturer of Supreme Propellers and Stone Propellers, Morris J. Stone. My father (William B. Stone) and his four brothers worked with their dad in Wichita Kansas for many years. I have been searching for over 40 years for a wooden propeller from my family's past. If anyone has one of these props I would appreciate it if you would consider returning it to its original family. I will be glad to offer a nice payment.

Thank you.

Jeff Stone

Comment

Stone propeller

Hi Ray,

I am interested, and would be pleased to visit when you have a moment.

Regards,

Jeff Stone

Originally posted by raymond violin View Post
              Hi Jeff,
              I have one of your family's props in very good shape for it's age, two tone with decals. Collete mentioned she paid 975.00 for hers. Since this posting is from 2009 , I'm checking to see if you still want one before I put it on eBay. I'm an antique dealer in New Jersey.
              Ray

Comment

stone propeller

Jeff,
                send me your email and I'll send you some pics. I would do it in the forum, but I can't figure how to attach he photos.
                Ray Violin

Comment

Originally posted by raymond violin View Post
                  Jeff,
                  send me your email and I'll send you some pics. I would do it in the forum, but I can't figure how to attach he photos.
                  Ray Violin
                  I think I figured it out. i have 9 pics
                  Attached Files

Comment

Prop

Ray,

I sent you my contact information by PM. Let's plan on speaking when you have a moment.

Thanks.

Jeff Stone

Comment

Ray,

I sent you my contact information by PM. Let's plan on speaking when you have a moment.

Thanks.

Jeff Stone
                      Hi,
                      Still interested?

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                        Still interested?
                        Ray

Comment

Stone propeller for sale!

Greetings Jeff, I wrote you over a year ago with a Stone propeller that I had for sale. I've found another one that I will be posting on Ebay tonite (9:30 CT). It is a 70" two tone in excellent condition. I hope you check it out (type stone propeller in the ebay search and you should find it).
                          Thanks, Scott

Comment

prop

Scott,

Thank you. I will be on the lookout for it tonight.

Jeff Stone

Comment

Thank you.

Jeff Stone
                              Mr. Stone,

I have a Stone propeller apparently intended for a Cont. 65 horsepower engine. Ir is labeled Stone Propeller Super-Prop made in Chicago Ill.

I would love to learn more about it. It belonged to a dear friend who has passed. He was an avid pilot starting in the late 1930's.

Charles Ward
                              cward@evergreenslate.com
                              802-394-2921

Comment

Working...
                              X