Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 295 cm (116") Heine prop identification

Can anyone help me with this propeller.
    I am told it came from the Fokker factory.
    Strange is the connection to the engine, not with 6 or 8 bolts, but it looks like 4 driving pegs and one center bold.
    Attached Files

As you can see on these pictures I can read the numbers

160 PS
    HEINE
    D ???
    H ???
    H ???
    N 36492

As far as I can find this must be a propeller from around 1919 for a 160 HP engine.
    It looks very clean for its age, so possible no original paint (to bad)

My questions are, on what engine (and plane) can this prop have been?
    The seller is talking about a Fokker Spin, but they had a 100 HP engine
    The prop is in Holland
    What is the value?

Best regards Willem (from Holland)
    Last edited by Willemvdm; 12-12-2020, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Forgot the pictures
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a Rupp fastener, designed for quick removal and installation on the hub. See this link.

We haven't heard from Bob Gardner lately, and he's been our best source of information on German propellers. I have his books and will see if I can find anything. Be patient. German props are hard to identify.

Comment

That’s an interesting propeller.

Just my observation, but the word underneath the “160 PS” stamp does not, to my eye, appear to read “HEINE”; in any case, this word is stamped elsewhere on the propeller.

The only two letters that are really clear are the two “E”s, so we can start with:
          _ E _ _ E

The first letter has two vertical components but what is between them is obscure.
          So, we have these possibilities:
          HE _ _ E
          ME _ _ E
          NE _ _ E

The third letter is interesting; there is a vertical component linked horizontally to a shorter vertical component. Above this is obscure but I suspect that this may be part of a letter “R”.

The fourth letter I cannot envisage as an “N”. It is quite clearly curved, meaning that it can only be “C”, a “G” or a partly obscured “O” or “Q”.

Thinking of all the possibilities, one immediately springs to mind: Perhaps this word actually reads: MERCE and is an abbreviation for Mercedes, who were a notable manufacturer of 160 HP engines during the WW1 era.

Having looked very closely, I would suggest that the marks read:
          160 PS
          MERCE
          D ???
          H ???
          HEINE
          N 36492
          EDULZUG (German for anti-clockwise, when viewed from in front of the aircraft).

This is pure speculation but, if the propeller did indeed come from the Fokker factory, one possibility is that it was intended for the Fokker D lV, which used the Mercedes Dlll engine of 160 HP.
          Last edited by Mtskull; 12-12-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks Mtskull

You are right, I found a picture on this forum from another Heine prop

http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/album.php?albumid=95

And the second line is indeed the engine, and it looks like MERCE
            So this prop must be from an 160 HP Mercedes Engine.
            And in 1918 Heine made their 35,000 th propeller.
            So is this prop from 1918 or 1919?

It is well know that Antony Fokker "smuggled" 98 pieces of Fokker D VII (and many parts) from Germany to Holland by train in November 1918.
            So can this prop have been on this famous train?
            I know that Germany was not allowed to build planes in 1919, that is why Fokker moved the factory.
            But were they allowed to make propellers in 1919?

Interesting.
            I must see this propeller in real life!

Regards Willem
            Last edited by Willemvdm; 12-12-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I found this site on the internet: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...om10063?page=6

Lot 910 looks very similar to yours and the stamping confirms that Heine did use the abbreviation “MERCE” for Mercedes.

Comment

It is the Rupp system, invented by a Swisse pilot / engineer. Fokker used in on C1 en D VII planes.

Comment

Working...
                X