Help Identifying Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Identifying Prop

This prop came with a project piper cub I purchased. I can’t figure out what it is… the only identifying marks are on the front under the front crush plate is marked with “4453” (guessing length and pitch data) under that is “51” and then on the blade there is "4453" again and “DES.7”. On the back that meets the flange there is a letter “J”. It appears to be a older Sensenich Prop that’s been O/H by Heisser’s? Thinking older since it has C.A.A Approved Repair Station on the decal (pre '5. What do you guys think? Any info would be appreciated, see photos below...
    Thanks Bryan
    Attached Files

How long is it from tip to tip? I'm nearly certain that the design number has been sanded down in the approved overhaul process. The most common Sensenich prop is 72 inches long, with varying pitch.

Since the number "4453" appears twice I would guess that's the serial number, which would indicate a very early Sensenich model, probably around 1932. But that's assuming that it was originally a Sensenich model. It could have been originally manufactured by any of a number of other manufacturers.

If you can determine the diameter of the bolt holes that might narrow it down to certain models. (Easy way to do that is to "measure" it with a dowel or a machine bolt of a know diameter.)

Comment

Its 74" long and the bolt hole are 3/8"

From all the other props I have the shape and build design with the 3 piece leading edges looks like a sensenich prop. Yes it looks like repair station did some sanding, from looking at the stamped numbers.

Comment

So from the Type Certificate data sheet there are several 74"Sensenich props with 3/8 bolt holes, both of which had their certification expire in 1956:

74EM
        74RA

Neither of those appears on this Sensenich list, so I suspect it was made by another manufacturer. That information is probably long since gone. While 74" was a less common diameter there are still way too many models that size (including bolt diameter) to narrow it down to a single manufacturer or engine/aircraft.

I think the best you'll ever come up with is "wooden propeller from WW2 era trainer", and even that's not quite a certainty.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the info!

Comment

Working...
          X