Short 184 info, where to find one, photo etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short 184 info, where to find one, photo etc

Hi unfortunately I’m not one of those poster with a lovely old propeller that needs identifying, but I wish I was.

I’m actually trying to track down a photo of a Short 184 propeller(s) and some info relating to it/them. I’m a sculptor working on a project/proposal which references to real size of the propeller(s) of a Short 184. By searching the forum I have tracked down the spec for one type of the propeller and would like to know the differences/similarities between the two blade version and the four. D3280 P2050 is the info that I’ve found on the forum. I would also really like to know if, in UK, there is an actual propeller I might be able to see or if there is a photo in existence of a person standing next to a 184 propeller which clearly shows just how large it is in relationship to a person. Bit of a tall order I know !

I also require ‘stream tube’ information for this propeller and could e-mail diagram photo to any forum member who could supply guidance on this.
    Any help on this would be truly appreciated. Thanks Ken

I'm not sure I can help, but "D3280 P2050" refers to the diameter and pitch in millimeters, so you know that the length from tip to tip is 3.28 meters. The pitch is a mathematical design number, and basically refers to how far forward the prop would travel in one revolution if it were 100% efficient, which it never can be.

Comment

Yes, that does help, thank you

For my purposes, having viewed stream tube illustrations/diagrams I am hoping to determine the diameter of 'stream tube swept by blade element' of this propeller.

Online searches using this term as 'search' throw up illustrations but unfortunately not being an aerodynamics engineer I am unsure of how to arrive at the diameter of 'swept by blade element' and equally if I would be correct in any figure that I might arrive at!

Further guidance would be much appreciated - cheers Ken

Comment

I attach photos. You'll notice dots on the propeller blades do they in any way correspond in diameter to that of the blue inner ring of the stream tube? Or is it coincidence and its back to maths?
        Cheers Ken
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that's coincidence. The "dots" are probably decals, their position determined more by chance than science, I think.

Comment

OK - I feared that might be the case, thanks yet again though all info gets me closer - cheers Ken

Comment

Notice also that the propeller in that picture is a left hand thread, which is a bit unusual for a tractor airplane. Sometimes that means that it used a geared engine which reversed the direction of rotation, and there may also have been some engines that just spun "the other way".

Comment

I looked through some listings and found some propellers designed for the Short 184:

AB707 (684) - 4 bladed, left hand tractor (no dimensions given), Sunbeam Maori engine

AB7062 -4 blade, LHT, D 3149 P2570, Sunbeam Maori

AB7073 - no details other than Sunbeam Maori

AD501M - 4 Blade, LHT, 225 HP Sunbeam

AD566 - 2 blade, LHT, 160 HP Sunbeam

AD718 - 4 blade, LHT, 240 HP Sunbeam

S170 - 2 blade, LHT, Sunbeam Cosack

It's not a bit unusual to have quite a few different propellers for the same aircraft.

So unfortunately, although there are several 2 bladed drawing numbers and engine designation, the only actual dimensions listed are for the 4 blade. They are all left hand tractor design. I would expect that the 2 bladed version is slightly larger than the 4 blade, so just a guess but I think the 3280 is probably an accurate length for a 2 blade.

Bob Gardner may chime in at some point with some further information about sizes, but they're not specified in my listings.

Comment

Working...
                X