Tibbenhams prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tibbenhams prop

Hi, my father in law has had this prop for many years and know nothing about it, so I decided I will try to find out more information. So here we are.
    ID marks are as follows
    Wd(arrow)
    120 hp breadmore
    Pp. a.i.d 94
    Tibbenhams 2448
    T5638
    Anybody got any idears as to which plane it's from and value etc.
    many thanks
    Paul.

I have attached a photo and do have lots more if requested
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pdo123; 03-30-2013, 11:45 AM. Reason: More photos

More photos

More photos
    Attached Files

Comment

Greetings PDO 123,

Welcome to the forum.

We tend to operate on first name terms here. May I call you PDO?

Your prop is a lovely remnant. T5638 indicates it was a prop designed by the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) for an early version of the FE2B, also designed by the RAF. Shortly after your prop was made, the Beardmore engine, which was a copy of the Austro-Daimler engine, was uprated to 160hp.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Many thanks for the information bob. This is fantasticc to get some more information on the prop. Do you happen to have a photo of the prop attached to the plane it was made for, this would make my father in laws day, once again thanks. Paul.

Comment

'Morning Paul,

I have more time today, so can add some slight additional notes on your data;

7.3.17 This is a date 7th of March 1917 but I have not yet discovered whether it is the date of the contract to make the props, or a date of delivery.
          WD(arrow) The prop was made on the order of the Ministry of Munitions at the request of the War Department, now called the Ministry of Defence.
          120 hp Beadmore; the engine.
          PP This mark occurs frequently on 1917 props made by Tibbenhams, but I haven't discovered what it means.
          AID 94 This is the airworthiness stamp by an inspector of the Aeronautical Inspection Depatrment. He stamped several Tibbenham props so he may have been resident in the area.
          Tibbenhams 2448 Tibbenhams serial number. I have also recorded prop no 2443.
          T5638 The drg no. The letter T indicates the Royal Aircraft Factory.

Postscript; I don't have any photographs of a Tibbenham prop on an aircraft. You should be able to find several if you google FE2B.

One of my books describes makers from Saunders to Wolseley of which 34 pages describe Tibbenhams, showing the factory, a series of photographs of props being made and several photographs of Tibbenham props that I have found. It's £41.00 GBP but I'll give you a discount of £5.00 for your father-in-Law, so it will cost £36.00 GBP plus P & P
          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM.
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Paul,

Just read your thread on the Aerodrome website.

There were both two and four bladed props made for the FE2B.

Tibbenham made both two and four blade props to the RAF designs.

Lang Propeller Co. made a two and a four bladed prop, both of its own design for the FE2B.

The RAF designed one two bladed prop (yours) and two types of four bladed props, all of which were made by several makers including Tibbenham, Ebora, Davis Bennett, Boulton & Paul, Darracq, Denny, Sage, and Aldam Heaton.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
            X