Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Munitions Propeller

Hi There,

this is my first propeller. I was told it is from Curtiss Jenny. Any help?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dave; 07-30-2011, 07:13 AM.

Originally posted by petair View Post
    Hi There,

this is my first propeller. I was told it is from Curtiss Jenny. Any help?
    There is no way you could determine that from the photos alone. You would need to know what numbers were stamped on the hub, and even those may not positively identify its usage.

Being "told" by someone is practically useless. Most of the time it is incorrect.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave!
      More images, that is all on it.
      Canadian Aeroplanes Limited, War Munitions, Toronto
      Is it helps?
      Attached Files

Comment

You still can't tell much from that. There were literally thousands of propellers that look very similar but had a variety of different uses, almost like tires for a car with lots of different variations and models.

At this point, you can eliminate a variety of engines by carefully measuring the hub dimensions and comparing to the chart linked on this page explaining the process. It may very well be consistent with an OX5 sized hub, but that still doesn't identify the aircraft using it. That situation is not at all unusual.
        Dave

Comment

I believe this propeller does teach us something in the last photograph, under the defective stamp the name A.J. Edmonds appears they look to have been stamped at the same time. His name stamp has appeared on at least three different brands of props on this forum and I think maybe a fourth. Including my early Lang of America Jenny propeller. He must have been an inspector for Canadian Aeroplanes Limited at the time.

Comment

Hi Brett,

I think I know the name Edmonds only in association with Lang Propllers of America who sub-contracted prop making to Canadian Aeroplanes Ltd until the USN had built a propeller factory on Long Island. But this prop does not look like a Lang design. Canadian Aeroplanes Ltd were set up in late 1916 primarily to make JN4 training aircraft for the Canadian RFC. With the entry of America into WW1 in 1917 many of these Canadian Jennys were shipped to the USA.

So Petair's anecdotal evidence and the discovery of the Edmunds name do make it more likely that this is a Jenny prop.

With kind regard,

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Gardner; 07-31-2011, 04:52 AM.
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

As a postscript Brett, part three of my book on British WW1 props will be out next month and includes two pages describing your Lang prop and a footnote crediting the photos to you, for which many thanks.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner
              Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
              http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank's everyone for the opinion, appreciate it! I'm sure now for the engine, according to charts here it was on OX 5. I will try to find other planes that used the same engine in Canada first.
                All the best!

Comment

Working...
                X