Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gypsy VI Propeller identification

Hello
    My father in law has given us an old wooden propeller that he had in his loft. He is over 90 with dementia and so we are not sure of the history. He actually keeps telling us about Amy Johnson!
    I found a production list from De Havilland but it did not appear which was strange and wondered if anyone could help?
    On one side of the hub D6 75 P6 3 AUG 35 AC39304
    On the other side DRG NO DH 5238 F10 then underneath looks like LH
    Thanks

Not sure it helps but that drawing number with some variants occurs on this page.

LH (left hand) would seem a little unusual as most of the Gypsy engines use RH props. But since it seems that it was fitted to a twin engine DH 89 (or DH86) it might have been used with a counter-rotation engine.

Comment

Thanks so much. It will be good to tell my father in law this information. If anyone else knows any more then that would be good too - we are clueless about this but the prop looks very nice in my conservatory and as we want to keep it then we would love to know more about the history. How can we find more about the travels and fate of this aircraft?

Comment

Unless "AC39304" somehow refers to a specific airplane (which I very much doubt) it would be extremely unlikely that you could find any history associated with this propeller itself. The history of the aircraft make and model would be whatever you find on standard searches, including Google. It's even possible that this was a surplus propeller that was never put in service. (Sometimes that can be detected from photos, especially of the hub area.)

(I've moved this thread to the "modern" category since it appears it's from the mid 30s.)

Comment

Working...
        X