View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
oinkitt

Default Propeller Conservation

When I bought my prop the previous owner had cleaned around the hub - I presume this was in order to read the markings. As this post suggests this should NEVER be done. I would have suggested the person do a "rubbing" with pencil and paper. You should never do anything that can not be reversed.
Thanks to my 30 years of experience with timber, and timber finishing, I was able to recreate the original finish.
The first 2 pictures are of the prop the way I got it. The second picture is after conservation.
This was achieved by mixing a thick batch of shellac and mixing in brown umber (pigment). It was applied to the required area and treated (fried) while still wet with a gas blow torch. Several coats were required but the repaired areas are not detectable.
This is probably something that should be left to someone with considerable expertise.
Any attempts to recreate a finish should be done on test pieces until it is perfected - generally every finish is different and due to mixing, application, and the conditions it has lived in
Remember if in doubt - DONT DO ANYTHING.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg propeller 002.jpg (18.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg propeller 006.jpg (20.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg bbbb bug 001.jpg (11.8 KB, 196 views)