No announcement yet.

Kinner R5 propeller - 1941, Axel types?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinner R5 propeller - 1941, Axel types?

Hi there, fellow aeronautic artefacts collectors.

Some years ago I visted the Canadian Aviation Heritage Centre (now the Montreal Aviation Museum).
    In the museum shop there was a propeller dated 3-1-1941 for a Kinner R5 for sale and I decided to take it with me (on an aeroplane )back to The Netherlands.
    It has always been my intent to put it on the wall in the living room.
    However the clear coat of lacquer on the propeller was dried out, damaged and coming off in larges flakes almost by just looking at it.
    I know by some of you this is considered a faux pas (and as a collector of antique militaria I can understand why), but I decided to strip it and to give it a new coat of lacquer.

After contemplating for a long time on how to secure it to the wall, I figured that it would be great to recreate a drive shaft and the accompanying fixation metal works.
    My brother, who is a hobby metal worker, is doing a great job on that!
    (see pictures)

0.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

I can't seem to find good pictures of early 1940's shaft types and the way propellers were secured to those driving shafts.
    Any advise or pictures are most welcome.

[ATTACH]9067[/ATTACH]

Comment

The hub is typically pressed onto a splined shaft (often tapered) that most often is just an extension of the drive shaft. The metal plate that you have fabricated basically acts as large washers through which bolts pass from the rear of the hub. There's a schematic of a hub cross section on this page. In the photo below the top plate is a separate piece and it fits on the front of the propeller. (The prop and its hub can be removed by removal of the large nut without having to unbolt all of the hub bolts.)

I'm not aware of much difference between basic construction of the hub between the 1940s and the teens (in either this century or the last one).

Attached Files

Comment

Many thanks for your reply!
        It really helps me with my insight in the mechanics.

So just for my understanding; The top plate of the hub in your picture would then be clamped to the axle by tightening the nut?

In the nut I see a groove with small holes.
        Would that be for securing the nut with a locking pin?

The plates in your picture looks much thicker than the one my brother created for me by the way.
        That one is only 2.5mm.

I wonder why nowadays we mostly see propellers displayed without the hub.
        In my opinion it looks so much more dynamic with the hub.

Sorry for all the questions.
        I am very new to the subject of propellers.

Comment

I'm with you. I think for display purposes Props look better with the hub assy.Yours is a fine work of art.

Comment

Working...
          X