Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller ID: 3.7m diameter 4-blader

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to identify possible aircraft for a cut-down four-blader that has been sanded and revarnished (not by me) which make the hub stampings very difficult to read, but appear as follows:

AD 555
    LEFT HAND
    75HP RENAULT
    D3744 P2680

The 75HP Renault does not appear to have been a widely-used engine, with scarce references mostly focussed on 70HP and 80HP Renault engines.

At 3.744 metres, it would have been a very impressive prop. Such a shame it's been cut down.

Any thoughts? I've attached a photo of the hub stampings. Unfortunately I don't have anything else to go on.

Cheers,

Jason
    Attached Files
    Jason Gehrke, Brisbane, Australia

"AD555" was a two bladed prop used for a Clerget engine, so that doesn't fit. I can't really read the stamped numbers. There is a listing for "AD 532" which is a left hand tractor 4-blade with a Renault 75HP engine for the BE2c. At this point I'm guessing that's the most likely match, although I don't have the data for the diameter and pitch on that model to see if it matches yours.

Stamped horsepower often doesn't match exactly what is now listed as horsepower for a specific engine.

Comment

Hello Jason,

Good to hear from you again!

Another possible interpretation of the remains of the markings on your hub is:
      AD535
      D2744
      P2600

These data are for a Standard Prop (ie; authorised by the Air Board) for a 75hp Renault engine for the early BE2C.

AD indicates that it was originally a design of the Air Department of the RNAS, but still extant in the 1918 list of Air Board numbers that I have.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Dave and Bob. Hope you're both well.

You could be right about it being 2.744m rather than 3.744m Bob, in which case a BE2c is a perfect fit. A four-blader that big would be extraordinary. It's just so difficult to read the stampings.

I really appreciate your insights and expertise.

Cheers,

Jason

Comment

I'm delighted to be of help, particularly to an Australian, and even to an American!

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Jason,

Remind me, for I grow ever more slow of brain. Did I send you a complete set of my books recently?

Were they up to scratch?

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post

Another possible interpretation of the remains of the markings on your hub is:
              AD535
              D2744
              P2600

These data are for a Standard Prop (ie; authorised by the Air Board) for a 75hp Renault engine for the early BE2C.

AD indicates that it was originally a design of the Air Department of the RNAS, but still extant in the 1918 list of Air Board numbers that I have.

With kind regards,

Bob
              Bob, do you mean AD 532? I have that listed as a 4-blade LHT for a Renault, but I have AD 535 listed for a Fiat engine.

Comment

Greetings Dave,

Confusingly there are two entries for AD532 in the Air Board list of 1918 that I use.

Firstly, AD532 for a 75hp Renault for the BE2C aircraft. This is not listed as a Standard Prop

Secondly, AD532 is also listed for a 250hp FIAT fitted to the front nacelle of a R23 RN Airship.

Neither listing shows any dimensions, nor are they listed as Standard props. I assume this is a clerical error by an Air Board clerk, who may perhaps have been day-dreaming about his girl friend etc.

The drg number AD535 is much more convincing.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi Bob,

Nothing wrong with your memory.

Yes, I did buy a set of books from you recently - I think I now have all of your propellor books. They are a great reference.

Cheers,

Jason

Comment

Thanks Jason,

Now that you have the reference books we can enrol you as a forum expert!

With kind regards,

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                    X