• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assist w/ 4 Bladed Prop ID

The propeller is 100" tip to tip.
    There are no markings on the propeller.

I appreciate the help!
    Attached Files

I doubt that it could ever be identified. It appears to have been rejected during the manufacturing process and never stamped with a drawing number.

You might be able to narrow down the engine possibilities by its hub dimensions, but even that isn't 100% accurate.

Comment

Thanks...that makes sense. I wondered why all the other propellers I've ever seen have alpha numerics stamped on them and this one didn't.

Comment

Measurements & Research

I took your advice and the measurements point to the Liberty L-12 Engine.
        I looked back through a bunch of old photos and I found several aircraft that used 4 bladed propellers. I believe it is most likely from a Curtis H-16 (or possibly a Curtis N13).

Other aircraft that used the L-12 engine and four bladed propellers were the de Havilland DH4, Felixstowe F5, and the Handley Page Bomber but it is most likely from a Curtis.

Four bladed propellers must be a lot more rare that two bladed ones as I could only find one four bladed French propeller for sale on 1stDibs for $18,500.

I have no idea what mine might be worth but it is fun kind of unwinding the story trying to figure this all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Reinhold View Post
          Four bladed propellers must be a lot more rare that two bladed ones as I could only find one four bladed French propeller for sale on 1stDibs for $18,500.

I have no idea what mine might be worth but it is fun kind of unwinding the story trying to figure this all out.
          That's an insane amount for a four-bladed prop unless it has some undisputable historical significance. I hope it sells for that because it would boost the value of my remaining collection by a factor of 300% to 400%.

Do you have a link to the French prop? I'd like to see what they are thinking . . .

Comment

In my opinion, 1stDibs and eBay are not good to use as a gauge of value. Those prices are inflated and in the case of 1stDibs, extremely.

There is a four blade propeller that is listed both on eBay and on 1stDibs. The price on 1stDibs is about $5,000 more than on eBay. And on eBay, I have seen the price of that same propeller fluctuate by about $6,000 up and down.

Here's the one I think is being referred to...

Ebay Link:
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-20t...IAAOSwcqxfYjUX

1stDibs Link:
            https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/mo...id-f_22659572/

Here are some other propellers on 1stDibs that is listed for over $20,000...

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/mo...id-f_14139901/

This one below even mentions it was purchased from Bob Gardner in 2007.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/de...id-f_10868671/

Comment

Originally posted by v8sharkie View Post
              In my opinion, 1stDibs and eBay are not good to use as a gauge of value. Those prices are inflated and in the case of 1stDibs, extremely.
              I absolutely agree. Often the actual sale price could be a good indicator of market value, but the problem is that people are fooled by the asking prices and may overbid on that basis. All it takes is two clueless bidders assuming that the other bidder knows what he/she is doing.

Years ago, I watched a propeller that I thought might have realistically been worth about $800 to $1000 sell for $12,000.

To make things worse, I talked to an antiques dealer years ago who told me that if something in his inventory didn't sell, he simply raised the price in hopes that a buyer was getting a good deal if he could talk the price down a little bit.

Comment

Working...
              X