Help with Nieuport 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Nieuport 28

What wood was used to construct propellers for the French manufactured, US operated Nieuport 28 fighter in 1918? After searching at length, it appears they may have used Levasseur Series 577 props made from mahogany or walnut... but I can't find anything definitive. I need to know with certainty, or at least as much certainty as exists. Any help is appreciated, especially with original sources. Thank you!

Originally posted by sopwith21 View Post
    .../... I need to know with certainty, or at least as much certainty as exists. .../...
    You can't. Any wood that was authorized for use by the military authorities could have been used. The list is long, and two different woods could be used in the same propeller.

Levasseur serial 577. Yes, this serial was approved for mounting on Nieuport 28, at least that is what emerges from the Gorrel lists. I have seen one and I join two pics of the hub but it was also approved for any Nieuport using the 9 cylinders 150/160 HP Gnome type N.

About wood usage: from walnut and mahogany until 1916, many French prop makers turned to beech in 1917 and later.

If your research is about Quentin Roosevelt's plane remains, what is shown in a town hall in France is NOT the remains of his plane.

Regards,
    PM
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, PM! I am not researching Roosevelt; my work is on the Gnome 9N and propeller. I don't have access to the Gorrell Report - was walnut and mahogany still accepted for use after 1916? Surely it was... I've seen at least one prop that claimed to be original from 1917 and was mahogany. If so, then we have quasi-official designation via the Gorrell Report that the props of N.28's in US service were made of walnut, mahogany or beech, or a combination thereof. Does that sound correct according to the available data?

Comment

Working...
      X