Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

Hello everyone - my first post.

Bought a lovely early propeller clock the other day and would really like to know more about the origin of the propeller.

Only ever had two blades, but one has been perfectly rounded off to match the shape of the in-set clock, it has 6 bolt holes, and the markings read exactly as below

D 290

9 220

HP 70

B15687

Other side:

RG 67 MF

Then underneath that it looks like an 'A' then a box with 'D59' but is faint, so could be wrong.

Many thanks indeed

Adam
    Attached Files

I'm only guessing but I think it'a likely a WW1 or slightly later prop hub from a European country other than the U.S., Britain, or France.

Other than that it's a little like finding a piece of a tire and trying to find out which car could have used it, i.e. mostly guesswork.

Comment

Here’s my guesswork: the marking HP 70 suggests to me that this belongs to an aircraft fitted with a Renault 70hp V8. The right hand thread would be consistent with this engine in a pusher configuration, e.g. as applicable to the Farman MF.7 and MF. 11. The diameter and pitch are consistent with this.
      DISCLAIMER: This is not definitive and is only one of several possibilities.

Comment

Hi,

@ Dbahnson: why "not Britain nor France"? It seems to me that "D" and "P" are for "diameter" and "pitch" in English or for "diametre" and "pas" in French and they are the only languages which can explain the use of D and P. Before 1922, French propellers were also using HP for the engine power, as English ones. So...

@Mtskull: Yes, I agree that 2.90 meters for diameter and 2.20 meters for pitch were used on MF 40 (Chauviere serial 2624) and MF11 (Ratier serial 5). Could MF in marking "RG67MF" be another clue? But how did you see it is a right handed prop?

From memory, it seems that marking "B" and 5 digits were stamped on IPC props.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
          Hi,

@Mtskull: Yes, I agree that 2.90 meters for diameter and 2.20 meters for pitch were used on MF 40 (Chauviere serial 2624) and MF11 (Ratier serial 5). Could MF in marking "RG67MF" be another clue? But how did you see it is a right handed prop?

Regards,
          PM
          Hi PM,

It is difficult but I believe the twist of the stub of the blade can be discerned from the photos. Another photo with a side view would confirm.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by pmdec View Post
            Hi,

@ Dbahnson: why "not Britain nor France"? It seems to me that "D" and "P" are for "diameter" and "pitch" in English or for "diametre" and "pas" in French and they are the only languages which can

Regards,
            PM
            My mistake, PM. I think my comment was directed at another propeller and posted accidentally here. Thanks for the correction!

Comment

Working...
            X