WWI Propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWI Propeller?

Recently found this and apparently came out of a local barn. Propeller is 8ft long. Has 8 holes for bolts. Markings on it include: 8’ 0” X 7.17. UNICO PRO NO 1083. DRAWING NUMBER 13-E1-X8.

what is the era of this propeller? Can anyone identify the aircraft this was used on? Sorry the pictures are not great. I can get additional if needed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Usdog; 09-09-2024, 06:26 PM.

Pic of propeller additional
    Attached Files

Comment

Additional pictures of the hub markings.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

It looks to have never had metal tips affixed which I hadn’t seen before.

Comment

Better full view picture.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

IMG_5900.jpeg Could it be for the Standard E1 aircraft? I saw in this document that the E1 had an 8’0” propeller with 7.17 pitch. It is the only one on the list as such. And the hub has E1, 7.17, and 8’0” marked on it.

Comment

Unico was a WW1 manufacturer. Your guess may be correct, but with some uncertainties. Usually, when an "x" appears in the stamped info it indicates an experimental model, which was fairly common during that period when trial and error was frequently employed before going into full production. Some never even made it to mounting on an aircraft but were used in "whirling tests" on a ground based motor.

Comment

That makes sense for sure. I did measure the hub and it seems to all match up with the LeRhone 80 hp engine at this link.

https://www.woodenpropeller.com/HUB_...US_ENGINES.htm

Comment

I saw this very similar one on eBay and the hub marking says “PLANE M-Defense E-22”

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29667280192...mis&media=COPY

Comment

Working...
                    X