• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 ww1 Propellers I think

I have two
    The first one says EBORA PROPELLER NO 366 TYPE 53
    The other one doesnt have and markings so i have put scale
    Attached Files

I think you are probably correct in belief that these to date from the WW1 era.
    The type number on the Ebora hub appears to have been badly stamped; might it be 33, not 53?
    In either case, I am sure that records will exist somewhere that would provide some possibilities as to which aircraft it could have been fitted to; personally, I would enquire at the RAF museum, the IWM and the Shuttleworth Collection.
    The other hub has been almost destroyed but two clues remain: It was four bladed and a left handed propeller, which often (but not always) suggests that it was fitted in a ‘pusher’ application.
    I really can’t see a way to positively identify it but, if you have lots of time and patience, it might be possible to narrow down the possibilities by physically comparing it with other propellers of known provenance.
    Last edited by Mtskull; 08-22-2024, 12:37 PM. Reason: Spelling: Ebora, not Ebola!

Comment

That's a weird shipwreck plaque to put on an airplane propeller piece.

Comment

Hi,

The "unmarked" remnant of a 4-bladded was to be mounted on a 50HP Gnome between the engine and the plane: It was a very particular fitting. I have never understood the advantage of such a fitting, but the hub is not destroyed, it is in its original shape with a center hole about 120 to 140 mm and a very thin thickness : ~45 mm for 2-bladded prop, unknown from me for a 4-bladded (because it is the first time I see such a prop!) but probably the same because it seems there is only one Gnome engine with this type of fitting (Gnome doc joined).
        H?liceEntreB?tiEtMoteur.jpg

Please, look carefully at the side (between the blade roots) for a possible light marking in this place.

Regards,
        PM

Comment

That’s what I love about this forum: There is such knowledge and expertise that just when you think you know it all, you learn something new. Thank you, pmdec!

Comment

Wow. Theweird stuff that turns up from that era . . .

Thank you PM!

Comment

Hi,

About this curious fitting, attached, is a pic of a Henri Farman pusher using such a fitting (the Chauviere decal is clearly visible, but I know Ratier and Ratmanoff propellers with this hub design).

Also attached some pics of such a prop to be fitted between the engine and the aircraft with its specific metallic hub. It is a Chauviere serial 2212-1 (diameter 2.50 meters, pitch 1.60 meter). The 45? view shows the two notches which are made to solidarize the propeller and the engine shaft.

Regards,
              PM
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X