Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which prop for supermarine Stranraer?

Hi Guys:
    Not sure where to post this, but does anyone know which 4 blade prop for supermarine Stranraer?

Thanks Jamie

Good morning Jamie.

I have records of four props for the Stranraer, but all are three-bladed, not four-bladed.

A brief note for other forumites; The Stranraer was designed by RJ Mitchell of Spitfire fame. It was a twin-engined biplane seaplane designed in the early 1930's as a coastal patrol aircraft. It was the last development of the Supermarine Southampton. Although the first flight was in 1934 it didn't enter service until 1937 by which time it was obsolete. It was withdrawn from service in 1941, an unloved aircraft with poor operational capability.

I know of four drawing numbers but I don't know the diameter or pitch. All the props were three-bladed and of fixed pitch.

A66150, a Vickers designed prop (where the letter A indicates a Vickers drg no)
    61590A, probably also a Vickers prop
    S430A, where S probably indicates a Short Brothers drg no.
    S1280A, ditto

Both these last two props were also fitted to the Saunders Roe London, a similar aircraft fitted with the same engine as the Stranraer, the radial Pegasus X

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply!
      I am modelling an RCAF Stranraer and have a picture of a wooden 4-bladed prop that actually looks like the one from a Hadley Page HP-42, belive it or not. The HP-42 had Jupiter engines made by Bristol, so maybe the props fit the Bristol Pegasus on the Stranraer too??

Thanks again
      Jamie

Comment

Working...
      X