Another one to ID - Hamilton 8'4"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one to ID - Hamilton 8'4"

I recently came across this propeller from my grandfather's attic. From what I've read in other threads in the forum, I believe I'm in the right place to find help in identifying it.

I'm sure the pictures below will say it all, but for clarity, the stampings are as follows (from top to bottom):

(Appears to be a US Navy Logo at top)
    (Letter 'K' inside a circle)
    MATTHEWS BROS MFG. CO.
    N-9895
    8'4" L.H.
    S.E. 5090
    HS-2

The hub diameter is about 3 1/8" and the bolts are 8" apart.

From what I recall him saying, he said it was a 'pusher' type propeller. I'd love to find out what kind of vehicle this came off of, and (not that I have any intentions of getting rid of it) what the value is. From what I've read on the forums, it appears to be in really good shape (i.e. unrestored).

Lastly, I'm curious about the cork that's in the bolt holes. Not sure how it got there but from the looks of the leading edge (no scratches or scrapes or dings) I'm thinking that this propeller might even be unused. There's no scuffs inside the hub, or markings on the face from where a plate would have been used to mount it.
    Attached Files

Oh, also if it helps, total thickness is about 3.5" and it is made out of 5 layers. There's also a small '571' stamped near the center of the hub that doesn't show up too well in the pictures.

Comment

Yes, it's for a Curtiss HS2 (L, the "L" is for Liberty engine) and is a very common model. It's half of a 4-blade assembly. Hundreds of these were sold, unused, as surplus in the 1920's. See this link for more details.
      Dave

Comment

Working...
      X