Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on prop ID

Hi

I have recently inherited a half prop blade with a nice clock in it. It belonged to my grandfather who served in the second world war. It has been rounded and polished when the second blade was cut off. Therefore I am missing some markings. After some research, this is the information that I have on this prop. I would very much like to know where it is from and on what aircraft it was used.

DRG number: 1242E
    Diameter: 92 inches
    Pitch: 60.3 inches
    Spinner B5
    PR. 1942

There is also a label on the blade : S&S aircraft limited Winnipeg

The leading edge is metal tipped.

I am thinking that this may be a prop from a trainer plane during the Commonwealth air training plan in Canada.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

To quote Dave on this topic in another thread, "A number of people, including me, have tried to find information about S&S but have not been able to turn up very much. I have seen quite a few of their propellers surface, many are in exceptionally good condition, and most seem to have been made for the Anson, either like the one under discussion or another model using, I believe, a Jacobs engine."

I too have tried to find out S&S's design list but all to no avail.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have just read the previous post on S&S aircraft limited winnipeg by Dave. I am from the Ottawa region therefore I am close enough to the Canadian Aviation Museum. I have also wrote to the president of the Ottawa chapter of the Canadian Aviation Historical Society. I will try to gain more information on the subject and if I get lucky, I will post my findings. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Any information on S&S designs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Information on S&S Aircraft Ltd.

Hi

I have received some interesting facts and history by the Canadian Aviation Museum not long ago. I have two articles on pdf files that are much larger (more or less 2mb) than the maximum file size of this forum. Those who are interested in having the files, let me know, I will gladly send them by email.

It seems that my half prop may have been used either on an Anson or a Tiger Moth. I will cross reference with the posting of my grandfather in WWII as soon as I can find that information.

Cheers

Luke

Comment

I would most definitely appreciate a copy. My email is woodenprops at earthlink dot net. Thank you!

Lamar

Comment

That would be great, and I'm dying to see what you found. Once I get it I may be able to upload it to the web for future reference if there's no objection to that.

Email for me is dbahnson at comcast.net - replace at with "@"
              Dave

Comment

Me too, please, Luke!
                aeroclocks at btinternet dot com

Many thanks for this research.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment