Need Some Help ID this Small Paragon Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Help ID this Small Paragon Prop

Hi, My father-in-law just gave me a old WWI prop, that he claims was off his dad's plane from WWI, I have tried to find it on the web site, but have not.

Specifics:

Lenth: 4' 1.25"
    Markings: Paragon, Baltimore Maryland
    Numbers: 466-2, 6350, and 8 x 625
    Also has "RIGHT HAND" stamped on it

See attached pictures (I can't upload, file size and dimension restrictions) Email me if you would like me to send picture,

Thanks for all your help.

Bob
    bob@thefrazierfamily.org

The stamping " 8 x 625" usually indicates a length of 8' and a pitch of 6.25', which would imply that yours has been cut down in size.

I just tried to increase the file size for attachments, so you might try again. If I can figure out how to increase it more I will.
    Dave

Comment

Picture of Prop

I think the upload worked, thanks. I sure hope this prop was not chopped, but wondered why it was so small.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, it definitely looks cut down, with just about 2 feet removed from each blade. It probably was similar to this one.

A picture of the end of the blade showing its cross section would probably confirm that. Ordinarily the tip area is only about 1/2" or so thick.
        Dave

Comment

I think you are right. The ends are about a 1 1/2" thick. I can't believe somebody ruined this old prop, especially if it was on a jenny. Thanks for your help. Bob

Comment

I think it was probably already ruined, usually from nosing into the ground on a rough landing. Typically, one of both of the ends are broken, then someone just trims it down to make it look even. Ironically, its value would still be fairly high if it had been saved with one end damaged, since that becomes part of the "provenance" of the item. I have one propeller with a bullet hole through it from action in WW1. The bullet hole increases its value tremendously. I'm thankful that someone didn't try to "repair" it or restore it in some way.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X