Question on Prop I Bought at Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Prop I Bought at Auction

Greetings I've just purchased a wooden propeller at an auction wondering if anyone can help with I.D. Numbers on propeller are SER A 23917 E, MOD 72A48, T.C. 802, P.C. 406 any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Greg

I don't have a listing for that exact pitch but I would suggest it is a cruise prop for an Aeronca K S. According to the serial number it was manufactured between 1932 and 1942.

Lamar

Comment

That's also a Flottorp numbered Type Certificate (later Univair), so the serial number might not fit the Sensenich web site dates of manufacture.

And Lamar, I noticed that you already have that number listed on your own web site page for Flottorp. It's for a Piper F2 with a 40 HP Aeromarine engine, something I've never heard of, but more information here.

Also this from Wikipedia:
      Taylor F-2File:US FAA ATC525.pdf

Persistent troubles with the early A-40 engines on the E-2 led to a search for other suitable powerplants. First choice was the Aeromarine AR-3-40, a three-cylinder air-cooled radial engine which produced 40 horsepower at 2050 RPM. Due to Bureau of Air Commerce policy at the time, a different engine in the same airframe required a new airplane model designation. The Aeromarine-powered Cub was given the next letter, F, and became the F-2.

Approved Type Certificate A-525 was awarded on February 16, 1934, and the F-2 had an initial price of $1495. Approximately 33 were made before a factory fire in 1937 ended production of the F-2.
      Last edited by Dave; 04-08-2009, 12:16 PM.
      Dave

Comment

Sorry all. This topic originally appeared under a Sensenich topic and I moved it. I ASSUMED it was a Sensenich prop. My error.

Lamar

Comment

Re wooden prop

Thanks guys, I also found today on each blade on the front of the propeller where the orignal decals were and from what I've seen online they are exact match to the univair logo. The prop seems to be in excellant unrestored condition also there is the date wrote on one end reading 1-8-71 not sure what that is maybe inspected on that date? Thanks again.

Comment

Inspection date is a good bet. I can't imagine that there were many F 2 aircraft with Aeromarine engines still around in 1971, though. Maybe that model was also approved for another engine as well.

Comment

Working...
            X