X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with identification

The wooden prop has the following stamped on the wood:
    453 8.0 - 5.3
    It also has a circle with a symbol in it, but it is unclear. The ends are copper.
    I was told it came off a Haviland. Thanks for any information.
    Attached Files

Can you get a close up of the stamp?

The numbers should correspond to the diameter (length) and pitch, with the 453 probably being a serial number. It doesn't look like a typical DeHaviland prop, and may very well be U.S. built.
    Dave

Comment

Help with id

I looked at it with a magnifying glass and there is a circle, smaller than a dime, above and to the right of the numbers, with CC and a 4 under it in the circle. I can see it with my eyes, but it is too fine for the camera to pick up. This prop came from the Shank Airport in Indianapolis. The owner of the plane was the airport founder, Robert Shank. He was a WWI pilot, flight trainer and air mail pilot. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Comment

Well, the next step would be to go to this link for information about hub dimensions then measure the values and follow the link on that page to the list of common early propellers. I suspect that they will match for an OX5 or maybe a Hall Scott A7A engine, but that's just a guess.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X