Propeller/aircraft Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller/aircraft Identification

My friend has a wooden propeller that is 104" wide, 13 " in diameter at the center circle (hub?), with a 3 1/4" diameter opening for the crank, and the center (hub?) is 4 3/4" thick. It has the following numbers on it, this is exactly as he has it written down....."No. 2282. Pitch 1 200__A 2642." It also has this " DR. No. 401 0." There is also an "I" or the Roman numeral "1" etched just outside the hub on the propeller root.
    The research he did said it was used on a Liberty 12-A engine, but he couldn't nail down what aircraft or time period. Thank you all in advance for any help you may be able give him.
    This was found in the garbage in the 1950's and he has since finished it and installed a clock in the center.
    One more thing, this is a straight blade, not curved, and there is no metal on the leading edges or anywhere on it.

I think that model was used on one of the Navy flying boats in the late teens or early twenties. I'd have to look through some notes but my recollection is that the 401 drawing number was for a propeller for a Liberty engine. Are the blades sort of "diamond" shaped? Straight leading and trailing edges that are widest apart near the middle of each blade?
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X