My prop story and some pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My prop story and some pictures

This prop has been in the family since it was in use. It was orginally used on a plane belonging to my great uncle, Verne. The prop was in use until April 16th 1934. On that day Verne's glide path was too steep and he was unable to properly flare, causing the tip of the prop to strike the ground. Other than the prop damage, he and the plane escaped unharmed. (Strangely I had a very similar incident in the mid-90's)

Take a close look at the picture of the damaged tip and you'll see "APRIL 16 1934" in pencil. Verne's wife enjoyed showing off the prop and telling the story. Verne passed away in the 70's and the prop sat in the basement of his wife's house until she passed in 2004.

I'm waiting on a relative to send me a few pictures of Verne standing proudly next to his aircraft. I'm anxious to id. the plane and gather any more info I can. I cleaned the brass edging and polished the hub cap but other than that I believe it has sat untouched since the 30's. I do not plan on any further restoration.

Any additional info about the prop would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for letting me ramble on about a piece of family history.

Comment

Comment

One of the real experts on this site will be able to look at your photos and confirm, but this looks like a propeller for a Curtiss OX-5 engine (90 hp, 1400 rpm; there's a wealth of information on the web for this famous early aircraft engine). Large quantities of these water-cooled engines were available as surplus following WWI and were used by many pioneering civil aircraft manufacturers during the 1920's. The design of your prop was particularly popular during the late 1920's. Some of the airplanes that utilized the OX-5 engine during this period include the Laird Swallow, Waco 9 & 10 and American Eagle A-101. However, my money's on the Travel Air 1000 or 2000. Compare your prop to the one pictured on a Travel Air 2000 at: www.airminded.net/ta2000/ta2000.html.

Thanks for the photos (those decals are really in great shape). Let us know when you get the photo of the actual airplane.

Comment

I think Aerobeacons is probably right. One thing that would help confirm OX5 usage is to read this link then go to the chart to see if the hub dimensions match.
          Dave

Comment

I'm updating this with some photo's of the plane. Also - interesting note on the back of the photo...a little different these days.

American Eagle A-101???

Comment

Thanks for following-up with the photo! Yep, it’s an American Eagle A-1 (aka A-101) with an OX-5 engine (the emblem on the tail is the American Eagle logo).

As you can tell from visiting this site, most people who own old propellers are lucky if they can just identify the type of aircraft on which it was used. You not only have The Prop, but you also have the The Story and The Photo to go with it! It’s a great piece of aviation/family history today, but imagine how much it will be appreciated by members of your family in future generations. Many years down the road, that beautiful old propeller, with the photo and story, could inspire a child to pursue an aerospace career (mission to Mars??) knowing that “it’s in the blood.” Such things have happened.

Wonderful photos. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for the wonderful words. And, thanks for pointing out the logo. I was able to find an image that matches the vague outline in the photo. I found a few websites that stated only 300 of the A-1/A101's were produced.

Comment

Nice!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X