Need info on old, huge wooden prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on old, huge wooden prop

Some years ago, I removed an old propeller from a tower in an orange grove. This prop was attached to a huge electric motor and was used to keep the air moving during cold spells, to prevent frost damage to the fruit. It had been struck a few times by someone throwing stones at it as it was turning, but was in remarkably good shape. I brought it home and proudly displayed it in my den, since I am a private pilot and wanted some flight stuff on the walls. This prop is 10 feet long, has an old "star" type airforce decal on one of the blades......(the kind that has a rectangular bar protruding from each side of the star) My question is: What type of aircraft did this prop come from, and how old is it and is it of any value? Thanks in advance.

Roly, So Calif old-time pilot

If it was used in an orchard to prevent frost it isn't an aircraft prop. These non-aviation props are seen frequently.

Lamar

Comment

Since I sent in my post, I went out to my garage and checked out what info I could find about my old prop. Here is what I found, I hope it helps:

It is exactly 10 ft long, has a 1 3/8 hole for the shaft, is laminated out of 4 layers of what appears to be maple wood, has 3/8" bolts in a 1/2 inch, 8 7/8" hub plate. The prop is 3 5/16" thick and 8 7/8" wide at the hub. There is no delamination of the glued up members and is in fine shape.

It has a serial number stamped onto it which reads: 860 274-1 and there is a rough scratched "D" next to the serial numbers There is a military 2" circle emblem on the back side with a 5 point star within it. (I would think this would mean that it was at one time, destined to be used on a fairly large military plane).

Nevertheless, I plan to hang it on the wall in my den, and if it isn't worth anything, no sweat. I just figured I might have a treasure that might be hard to come by. It ain't for sale, I just thought I would let my heirs know it might buy a cup of coffee after I am gone.......Thanks for any other info anyone might have. Please don't rain on my parade.

Roly

Comment

Working...
      X