Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leseurre propeller ?

Hi,

I recently find a propeller which has a very faint HELICE LESEURRE decal on each blade. I will try to make a picture, but I am not sure I'll be able to.

On one side of the hub it has HYD BLA and HS 260 CV. So, it is probably for a Blanchard seaplane, precisely for the Brd1 Hb3 as there seems to be no other Blanchard with an Hispano 260 HP.

On the other side it read SERIE 78, NUMERO 62, BC in an hexagon stamp and the letters G and L.
    So, it is french made, drawing serial is 78 and number in serial is 62. It has the "pass good" stamp and two letters G and L.

Around the hub hole there is "10 hexagon 9 hexagon 24". So it was probably made (or approved ?) in 1924 (french propeller, thus french date marking : day-month-year)).

The propeller is lacquered and have the Tonkilaque stickers. It is 2m75 diameter, blades are 325mm large and the measured pitch is appoximatively 1m90.

Blanchard made two seaplanes between 1920 and 1924. Brd1 was bought by French Marine and 24 (or 14 ?) were made. If 24, number in serial 62 is possible (48 for new ones and 48 more for replcement).

Jean Adolf Leseurre was a designer who made many aircrafts models with Charles Edouard Pierre Gourdou known under the name Gourdou-Leseurre between 1917 and 1934 (and seaplanes after 1930) : has this something to do with the G and L letters ? But the prop can't be for a Gourdou-Leseurre model : none use a HS 260 engine .

Is anybody knowing this factory made propellers, and made them for aircrafts outside their own production ?

Thanks,
    PM

***edited 5/10 23H08 (EU time) : replace 82 by 62 (number in serial).

Bonjour Pierre-Michel,

Thank you for this valuable information about a prop maker that I hadn't heard of! Did Jean Adolf Leseurre make props during WW1 I wonder? I'll go through my records to see if I have any details that might refer to him, but I don't think so!

Avec le Respect,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hi,

As promised, I made photos :
      The letters seem very slightly embossed under the lacquer coat (or under a lacquer coat if it has been relacquered ?) I will try to look at this with a binocular to see if what is clear is wood or a decal.

The true color is glossy black : the green appeared when I increased contrast (and the blue of the first because the picture was made a very fine day, not as today !!!)

If someone is interested in photos of complete propeller and/or markings, just ask !

A good day for all ...
      PM

Comment

Working...
      X