X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fokker Dr.1 Prop ID

Hello,

First post here.

Looking to ID the propeller on one of Richthofen's Fokker Dr.Is, 152/17, flown March 1918. Triplanes often used Axial props, but they could also use Heine and Lorenzen, and even captured British props and engines. 152/17's prop does not look like an Axial--in the first picture it looks "Heine-ish," and in the second photo it resembles props I've seen on Sopwith Pups. Both photos of the same machine; second photo is undated but post-March 1918. Same prop, different angles? Different props?

So, I ask you, the more learned, for help. Any input appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

JFM
    Jim Miller

Hi
    Its allmost similar to mine in shape.Staight leading egde!
    See my post "hi there"
    Engine looks like a "Oberursel" or "Le Rhone" .Seems from the pics. it got exhaust pipes and also looks to have a 2 valve rocker!

Jan

Comment

Hi Jim,

Your second photo, showing the prop with a high aspect ratio, is a Type 63 axial prop. I can't identify the prop in the first photo but I can tell you that I have records of Dr I props made by;

Axial, four types, all variations on the Type 63 design, all visually the same.
      Heine, one
      Lorenzen, one

There may be others of which I am unaware.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you, both.

I have the same information regarding prop types used on Dr.Is. That second photo throws me--the blades have the Axial angular trailing edge, but that lighting does me in. That lower blade looks as if it is curling back over on itself or something. I'm glad you ID'd it.

Thanks again.

Comment

Jim,

I think its a combination of a shadow and the colour of one of the laminations of wood. It's a type 63 Axial prop.

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you again! I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
            X