SPOED 180
    180 PK OPEL
    D 920
    What plane ?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    DOCTEURAVION[/img]

Dutch prop early twenties

Hi,

I'm no propellor expert. As a Dutchman however I can tell you that the propellor is probably from the Netherlands. The propellor is designed for an Opel (Opel Argus) 180 hp (pk=hp) 6 cilinder engine. 'Spoed' means pitch. D 920 could be the serialnumber, but can also mean that it's buildingdate was september 1920. The propellor is build in the decenium after (or even late in) the First World War, so the date can match. The opel engines were used on Hannover CL.II and CL.III aircraft. The Dutch Luchtvaartafdeeling (Military Air department) had a lot of different aircraft, engine types and propellors due to (crash-) landings and internation of aircraft from the surrounding belligerent countries. Due to shortage of parts in and after the war, these parts were combined in unimaginable ways. The Luchtvaartafdeling also made their own propellors. I would say that the prop is used on a CL. III (of which a few came down in Holland) or a DFW C.V (of which I believe they fitted an Opel Engine in it). But once again: I'm just guessing. Any leads and/or tips from the professionals?

Ok. Take care and good luck with further determination.

JMPM (Leiden, The Netherlands)

Comment

I wonder if D 920 really is D 1920 or D 2920, where the first number is almost not visible?

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
      X