Need help identifying an old 14' wood propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying an old 14' wood propeller

I've owned this propeller for over 20 years and it's possibly early 1900 vintage.

No stamps, decals, identification. Nothing.

14' 0" end to end

10.5" hub

8 - .5" bolts @ 8" o/c

3.25" Dia. bore

5.25" Thick

7 Ply (Mahogany?)

Thanks in advance for any info and Merry Christmas to all.

Best regards,

Mtk

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...ent=prop00.jpg

It's pretty long, and may very well have been used on a dirigible. There's not much information there to be able to identify it.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for the reply Dave.

Is a propeller from a derigible not so desirable as far as collectability?

Or is it the lack of identification?

I know she's not pretty like some of the others but any idea how common is a WWI +/- vintage derigible propeller ?

Reason I ask is that I've never seen one as large in the many antique shops we have perused over the years.

Best regards

Comment

I think it's more because of the lack of accurate identification. They also become a little less desirable to own because of the space required to display them and the expense of shipping them. I spent a day years ago going through the propeller collection at the National Air and Space Museum (Garber facility), where they have 10 or 15 dirigible props, some around 20 feet in diameter.
        Dave

Comment

Hi,

It's an interesting looking prop.

Eight bolt holes in such a large prop suggests that the engine is comparatively low powered or the prop is running through reduction gearing. More powerful engines would have needed twelve bolt holes to transmit the power. This might mean it was a prop from the teens, rather than the 20's or 30's.

The shape has a Germanic look to it, but a German prop of this age and size would usually have had more than seven laminations. I don't think that it is of British or French design. Dave, does it match any of the designs that you saw at the NASM?

I agree with Montauk's thought that it is early twentieth century.

It is not impossible that it is from an aircraft. Late WW1 props reached fifteen feet diameter in 1917 and 1918.

The size is a limiting factor in its commercial value. And the lack of any data to identify it. I think that here in England it might sell at auction for around 1000 gbp, about 2000 usd.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X