PDA

View Full Version : Found. Curtiss propeller

Garrett
01-26-2017, 10:11 AM
I have recently come to own what seems to be a vintage propeller. I am interested in finding the age, application, and ballpark value. Any information would be greatly appreciated. It is 8'8" long and has 8 bolt holes.

Dbahnson
01-26-2017, 11:24 AM
It's likely late teens or early twenties manufacture. The "CP" refers to "Curtiss Propeller". It's a left hand thread which indicates a likely pusher configuration.

The "SE 364-398" refers to the blueprint ("drawing") number under which it was manufacturesd, with the "SE" referring to Steam Engineering, which was the Navy department that was responsible for procuring a large number of propellers at the end of WW1. Many of those manufactured quickly became obsolete and were sold off as surplus in the twenties. There were a large variety of flying boats developed by the Navy during that time, and this is likely a propeller left over from that activity.

I can't find that drawing number listed anywhere, so it will be hard to identify. It looks like it might be a hub size for a Liberty engine. Refer to this page (http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Hubmeasure.html) to see if you can eliminate some other engines.

Garrett
01-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your input. I too am having zero luck in trying to research for more information. I plan on hanging it on a high wall in my home but would like to know approximately what its value would be. Thanks again!

Dbahnson
01-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Well, now that I see closer pictures of the hub I can tell that it's actually half of a 4-blade combination. There's another blade that interlocks with those notches and line up all of the bolt holes. It's rare to find matching blades, which would have a much higher value.

No one really has a good database for "market value" since the market is small, but I'm guessing that it would sell for somewhere between $900 and $1500. That's not to say that it might sell for more than that on some markets, but not to a "knowledgeable" buyer.

Garrett
01-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Good info to know! Thanks again.