Newbie With A Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie With A Wooden Propeller

My husband and I have inherited a 9' wooden propeller and we know nothing about it. It has 8 bolt holes, has the following identifying information.

Part No 074067
    AC No 28-381
    Engine GHT-E-198 H.P.

Also says "Standing R.P.M." and "Airplane PT-1"

Can anyone tell us anything about it? How old? What's it from? Is it worth anything? It's really nice in very good condition with brass tips.

Thanks
    Ann

I'll try to get a picture so I can attach it. Stay tuned.

I have seen (and owned at one point) a propeller stamped with "PT 1" that presumably was used on this plane. However, the stampings on your don't seem consistent with the Hisso 180 HP engine that is listed for the PT-1, so it may be a variation of that model. A picture might help, and I'll see if I can find a photo of the one I sold years ago (which I believe is now hanging in some military recruiting office near the capitol building in Washington, DC. Unfortunately, I've lost my emails relating to that propeller.)

Comment

I'd upload a picture but I can't figure out how. I'm working off my iPhone and I can choose it just not get it on the forum. Advice here would help me too.

Technologically handicapped.....

Ann
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey what do you know.... It posted!!!

Comment

So there isn't any other information on this? Is there anyplace else I can reach out for help? I'd really like to know more about it.

Ann

Comment

Originally posted by adhondt View Post
            So there isn't any other information on this? Is there anyplace else I can reach out for help? I'd really like to know more about it.
            u
            Ann
            Accurate information is hard to come by, and propellers are like tires - made in mass quantities for a variety of wheels on a variety or automobiles and difficult to identify accurately.

Some people have had success by contacting the librarian at the National Air and Space Museum, but they don't always have what you're looking for either. Best to just call them.

Comment

Propeller?

Hi Ann, I have owned a variation of this propeller in the past. Mine was built by Hartzell of Piqua, Ohio in the 1920's. If you would consider selling it I would be interested in a purchase. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com
              Thanks, Scott

Comment

Working...
              X