PDA

View Full Version : Identification help

altgadin
02-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Good day Community!

I get this propeller from a friend.:D
I like to know the for which plane this propeller was used.
After some hours searching the Net I found the marvelous adress from this forum.
Please be so Kind and help me to verify this prop.
On the type lavel is following:
J.H.Schäfer & Co
Bremen
Abt.Luftschrauben
Baugr.Nr. 9-50001.11
Werk.Nr. 51.2947

Lengh from Tip to tip 230 cm ( 90,55 inch)
Number of bolt holes 3 ( additional I can see 3 marks, coming from 3 additional holes at the propellerboss)

Hope for a positive answet:p

Many thanks

Kind regards

Gerald

Dbahnson
02-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Three bolt holes? I haven't seen any aircraft hubs with just 3. Are you saying that it looks as if it was drilled for three but marked for 6?

I don't have any references that list those numbers. Maybe Bob Gardner will know. It's general appearance suggests a post WW1 usage, perhaps even WW2 era or some time in between, but that's only a guess.

altgadin
02-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Many thanks for your reply, :D
The three holes are not going through the Propeller, the hole is only two inches deep, the total thickness is 11,7 cm ( 4,6 inch).
I guess, this are only for torque, the prop fixation must be in the center.
I will trial to add some more pictures, but not shure if I can do.:?

altgadin
02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
The file size was to big, I will post now one picture and a second later

Kind regards

Gerald

altgadin
02-05-2016, 12:04 PM
This is the prop from the other side

Bob Gardner
02-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Gerald,

The three blind holes are for a Rupp quick release fastener, which dates your propeller to the 1920's or early 1930s. Most Rupp hubs had four stud holes; some, for the most powerful engines, six. The black covering of the prop and the style of the data plate also both suggest a prop from the 1920's.

Propellers fitted for Rupp hubs are extremely rare; those few in captivity have four stud holes. I only know of one other propeller with three stud holes, which is in a German Museum.

Sadly the rarity of your propeller is not reflected in its value, because only a few people know anything about them, and some of those have forgotten!

Nonetheless, you are now the curator of a very rare propeller. Take care of it for the future generations to come.

With kind regards,

Bob

altgadin
02-07-2016, 05:03 AM
Bob,

Many thank' for your revealing feedback.:D
I will deal with the propeller very carefull.
I get another very interesting information from my friend.
The former owner of this prop was Theo Blaich, I guess you know him.
Theo Blaich was the owner of a Bf 108, this plane has a Argus 10 c engine, is it possible that the Bf 108 has such a Propeller.:?:

Kind regards

Gerald

Dbahnson
02-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Gerald,

Bob is away for a week or two so won't be responding during that time.

Dave Bahnson