X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification help

Good day Community!

I get this propeller from a friend.
    I like to know the for which plane this propeller was used.
    After some hours searching the Net I found the marvelous adress from this forum.
    Please be so Kind and help me to verify this prop.
    On the type lavel is following:
    J.H.Schäfer & Co
    Bremen
    Abt.Luftschrauben
    Baugr.Nr. 9-50001.11
    Werk.Nr. 51.2947

Lengh from Tip to tip 230 cm ( 90,55 inch)
    Number of bolt holes 3 ( additional I can see 3 marks, coming from 3 additional holes at the propellerboss)

Hope for a positive answet

Many thanks

Kind regards

Gerald
    Attached Files

Three bolt holes? I haven't seen any aircraft hubs with just 3. Are you saying that it looks as if it was drilled for three but marked for 6?

I don't have any references that list those numbers. Maybe Bob Gardner will know. It's general appearance suggests a post WW1 usage, perhaps even WW2 era or some time in between, but that's only a guess.

Comment

Identification help

Many thanks for your reply,
      The three holes are not going through the Propeller, the hole is only two inches deep, the total thickness is 11,7 cm ( 4,6 inch).
      I guess, this are only for torque, the prop fixation must be in the center.
      I will trial to add some more pictures, but not shure if I can do.
      Attached Files

Comment

Identification help

The file size was to big, I will post now one picture and a second later

Kind regards

Gerald
        Attached Files

Comment

Identification help

This is the prop from the other side
          Attached Files

Comment

Gerald,

The three blind holes are for a Rupp quick release fastener, which dates your propeller to the 1920's or early 1930s. Most Rupp hubs had four stud holes; some, for the most powerful engines, six. The black covering of the prop and the style of the data plate also both suggest a prop from the 1920's.

Propellers fitted for Rupp hubs are extremely rare; those few in captivity have four stud holes. I only know of one other propeller with three stud holes, which is in a German Museum.

Sadly the rarity of your propeller is not reflected in its value, because only a few people know anything about them, and some of those have forgotten!

Nonetheless, you are now the curator of a very rare propeller. Take care of it for the future generations to come.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob,

Many thank' for your revealing feedback.
              I will deal with the propeller very carefull.
              I get another very interesting information from my friend.
              The former owner of this prop was Theo Blaich, I guess you know him.
              Theo Blaich was the owner of a Bf 108, this plane has a Argus 10 c engine, is it possible that the Bf 108 has such a Propeller.

Kind regards

Gerald

Comment

Gerald,

Bob is away for a week or two so won't be responding during that time.

Dave Bahnson

Comment

Working...
                X