DH9 Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH9 Prop

I have an unrestored prop DH9 no: G1456N85 canvas still in place and mountings. Can anyone help me with its history?
    Thank you

When you say "its history" do you mean what specific airplane it was mounted on?

If so, it's extremely unlikely that you will be able to find that, and in fact you might find that it was never even mounted on one. If you can post a photo of the prop and a close up image of the hub, we can probably guess whether it was ever used or not by the presence or absence of "witness marks" caused by the pressure plate of the metal hub assembly.

Photos of the entire prop, the markings, and decals would also be useful.

Comment

Good Morning Rose,

The G number you have given us is a batch number. G1456 dates the prop to late 1919 or early 1920. These batches contained 100 props so yours was number 85 in this batch.

We need the data stamped on the sides of the hub to give you any more info.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you

I will post photos asap
        I found more lettering on the other side
        not 100% on all the letters but something like as follows

DE H9
        200 HP SIDDERLEY
        13HP
        DRG 8B 7031

D 2750
        P 2530

2 FURTHER STAMPS IN WOOD
        Ican't read the top one other AID | AID
        DFE | 37V
        Last edited by Rose; 09-22-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rose View Post
          I will post photos asap
          I found more lettering on the other side
          not 100% on all the letters but something like as follows

DE H9
          200 HP SIDDERLEY
          13HP
          DRG 8B 7031

D 2750
          P 2530
          A picture of the stampings will help. It's almost certainly "AB" (for "Air Board") rather than "8B" for instance, and I can't imagine what the "13HP" would signify. I'll look through my reference materials when I get home (including Bob Gardner's books) which should help fill in some gaps.

In the meantime, you can at least confirm the accuracy of the "D" number, which should be the length from tip to tip in millimeters.

Comment

measured

yes 2750 tip to tip
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Rose; 09-22-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Stamp photo

Might be 87V or B7V.

This prop has been in the shed since I was little. I have bought it in the house now and would like some advice on cleaning it. It is dirty. I have it stood on some foam to try and protect tip and will hang it later. I don't want to ruin it at all and my dad always kept it untouched
              My mum had the other prop which is polished and hung on wall, that is from a Sopworth camel.
              Attached Files

Comment

Those are inspection stamps. Bob will be checking in within a few weeks and may be able to correlate them to a specific inspector.

See this thread about "restoration" for starters.

Comment

Hi Rose and Dave,

"13HP" is likely to be "BHP" this came from Beardmore, Halford and Pullinger, 3 of the main men involved in the design and manufacture of the engine that this prop was designed for.

Andy

Comment

SE5a

I stand corrected by my mum she does not have a Sopworth camel she has a
                    SE5a prop on her wall.

Comment

The plate

From the plate on the prop would that have been the last engine it was fixed to?. I was going to remove the plate but perhaps I could leave it on and clean it up a bit. It is very oily.

Comment

I'd leave it intact.

Comment

Engine

Thank you for engine info. Would the BHP engine be used for all of its life?

Comment

Typically, if the propeller still has the metal hub attached it's most likely that it was used on that engine, removed for some reason, and never mounted on something different. But there's no way to be sure of the exact history.

Comment

Working...
                            X