Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is My Prop a Genuine? Shorts Mussel S7 -1926

I have a prop
    from a Shorts S7 Mussel, built in 1926 by Shorts Rochester?
    Online "Flight Global" magazine archive dated 11.03.1926 ,page141 shows
    the upright four cyl 60Hp(45Kw)ADC Cirrus1 which is reported to have been used on this aircraft & Float devel project.
    My prop bore & 8 bolt circle match up with the dimensions given in the transcript on that same engine, again from another" Flight" issue dated 26.02.1925 page 107 & 108.
    more inforo is available from "Flightglobal/archive 26.08.1926 page539
    THE SHORT "MUSSEL"LIGHT SEAPLANE. page 143 of the " Flight " dated March 11th 1926 ,
    this again gives dimension for the aircraft & looking at the figure of 7'6" given for the float centreline
    this matches up with the length of my propeller 6'6" or 78"inches. with 6" inches either side.
    My propeller Hub diameter = 6 1/2" & 4 1/4" thick with riveted brass edges
    SBCS markings on bore?
    Can anybody help me to confirm the identity of my Propeller.
    Thank you
    Last edited by Andy Plumb; 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM.

Are you basing the connection solely on the matching of bore diameter, bolt holes, and propeller length?

What is actually stamped on your propeller? It's not quite clear to me.

It would also be useful if you could just post a screenshot of the reference material you cite, and as always a photo of the prop and its hub may be helpful.

Comment

hello there
      The propeller was given to me by the family of a good friend who recently passed away. He and his father both worked at Shorts Rochester.
      In 1938 his father had the opportunity to purchase the prop when various item of stock were being disposed of in a store reorganization.
      at the time of purchase he was advised by the storekeeper that , to the best of his knowledge, the prop came from the Mussel Seaplane of 1926.
      There are no visible stamping's on the prop , but there is some lettering etched of the bore (highlighted with chalk)- SBCS ?? or coul & some unreadable markings under the varnish.
      the imfo I found on this aircraft can be found on the Flightglobal/Archive
      under the dates previously given .
      Attached Files

Comment

additional photo,s

hear is some more pictures
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Andy Plumb; 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

It's unusual not to have any stamped information on a serviceable propeller. Sometimes that means that it never completed the manufacturing process and was culled out as a souvenir, but absent definitive markings it's virtually impossible to specify a single aircraft model that it might have been designed for.

Comment

Propeller identification

thanks for the response,
            with reference to the fact that the Shorts S.7.Mussel was only really a prototype built to test the performance of their duralumin monocoque floats & only two were built. - ref wikipedia
            also from other information in write up in Flightglobel/archive dated August 26th 1926 page 539 makes the statement that in testing the get-off & climb were not spectacular & an unsuitable propeller might be partly responsible, but although improvement`s were made by using different propellers the machine was not what it ought to be & other modifications were made in the aircraft's evolution and development.
            With the story i have been given, was this one of the propellers used in the development process , and that it was put back in the stores because it wasn't
            needed.
            Does anybody know who would have made the propellers for Shorts during this period??

Comment

Working...
            X