PDA

View Full Version : Value? WW1 Starr Piano Co. Wooden Propeller Richmond Indiana

blandrs
02-09-2015, 07:34 PM
I have a wooden propeller made in Richmond Indiana by the Star Piano Company. This propeller came from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway while the track was closed in 1917-1918 during WW1. The facility was used by the 821st Aero Repair Squadron of the Us Signal Corps. Recovered from the facility after the War and stored in Speedway, Indiana. Passed through my family for many years. Slightly damaged. This is probably the reason it was replaced.
Please let me know the approximate value in excellent condition.
Thank you

Dave
02-09-2015, 10:46 PM
If it's "slightly damaged" it may no longer be in "excellent condition", so value is difficult to estimate, as it would be for almost any artifact like this. You'd need to post photos of the damage and photos of the "excellent condition" to even begin to guess at a value.

blandrs
02-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Thank you Dave. I will Work on getting a picture on line. I found an identical propeller on this site. http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Starr.html

Dave
02-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Thank you Dave. I will Work on getting a picture on line. I found an identical propeller on this site. http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Starr.html

Yes, that's one that I sold a while ago, but I don't recall the price. It was in pristine, like new condition, though. Condition is a huge determinant of value, and people often have different interpretations of what constitutes "excellent" (or any other) condition.

blandrs
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Tried to upload several pictures of the Starr propeller. 2 more pics to post.The number is S.C. 30915

blandrs
02-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Thank you for any useful information regarding this propeller.

blandrs
02-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Hello Dave,
Do the pictures help you establish condition? Please let me know if you need more information. I would like to post the propeller for sale.

Thank you,

Scott

Dave
02-17-2015, 04:29 AM
The condition is "original", which is a big plus in value. It looks to have normal wear and tear rather than damage and importantly no evidence of alteration. I would expect it to sell for something in the range of $1600 to $2200 range, and perhaps higher on some place like eBay with the correct presentation.

Interestingly, I got the attached document in the mail today from a James Bowen. It describes the testing of a similar prop on an OX5 engine in 1918, but does not describe the aircraft on which it was tested.

blandrs
02-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Hello Dave,

I appreciate your information concerning the Starr Piano Company prop. I feel better about moving it with us on several moves. I will keep you posted when it is sold. The prop is very heavy, so I will have to investigate the best way to ship to a buyer. Thank you again for your time.

Scott

Dave
02-18-2015, 05:57 AM
See this page on shipping (http://www.woodenpropeller.com/shipoptions.html), and click through to the technique page. I've shipped quite a few props this way, mostly using FedEx Ground, and found it to be the safest, least expensive method.

blandrs
02-28-2015, 05:23 PM
The propeller sold on eBay to a decendent of the Gennetts who owned the company. We are very happy the buyer can appreciate the historical significance of this propeller in Indiana.

Thank you,

Scott

blandrs
02-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Hello Dave,
Thank you for reccomending selling the propeller on eBay. We sold the propeller to a decendent of the Gennett family in Indiana. We were happy to have a buyer who appreciates the historical significance ofthis propeller in Indiana.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Scott

Dave
02-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the follow up. Now that you mention it I think I had heard from that family at some point and I forgot about the connection with the record company.

It is nice to see these go to descendants of the original manufacturers.

For those that are interested, here's the Ebay listing (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wooden-Airplane-Propeller-WW1-Era-Starr-Piano-Company-Richmond-Indiana-/141585032868?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f72026a4).