Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification

Hello,

I recently acquired a propeller and know next to nothing about it. The only visible marking is "SR902". The length from tip to tip is 106 inches (8ft 10 inches). 8 bolt holes, and the hub thickness and bolt circle measurements are shown in the pictures. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-gvl
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gvl; 12-20-2014, 08:46 PM.

I don't recognize the number, and the hub dimensions don't seem to correspond to any of the common WW1 era engines, although it's close to the Wright A (which was a variation of the Hisso engine). That may be because it's hard to read the exact measurements from the photo.

The "witness marks" on the hub indicate that it has been mounted on a hub in the past and almost certainly put into service then removed.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

I will measure again and post my findings here. Am I correct in my assumption that it is pre-WWI? Also, I have not seen very many (admittedly, I have done little searching) propellers that are this large in size. I also cannot find any other propellers that use the "SR" designation... It seems as though my chances of finding out more are very slim. I was sort of hoping it would be worth a decent chunk of change to help pay for college... Wishful thinking, I suppose?

Comment

I suspect that it's more likely post WW1, just judging by its general appearance and the metal sheathing, which was rarely used before WW1, although there are some propellers with it.

I'm just guessing that it's for a Wright engine, which might date it to the late teens or early twenties, or possibly a little later, but that's pure speculation at this point.

Comment

Thank you both for your input.
          The hub is 6 1/4 inches thick, and the distance from the left edge of one bolt hole to the left edge of the one directly across from it is 6 3/4 inches.
          Can a monetary value be placed on the propeller with such limited information?
          Would more pictures help any of you give me an approximate price? I have a few more years of college to pay for...

Thanks again for your assistance.

gvl

Comment

Rather than create a new thread for each of my two propellers, I figured I would just combine them. This one has a bit more information on the propeller itself, but I do not have any idea of its history. From reading, it seems as though US Propellers Inc. made quite a few drone propellers but I would assume that the length of this one suggests otherwise. It does appear to have a metal sheathing that was painted over. The hub thickness is 5 1/2 inches from bevel to bevel (6 inches in total when thickness is measured on the outside). 7 inches from bolt hole to bolt hole, and the overall length is 8 feet (96 inches).
            There are three of these but I was only able to obtain one of them. Is there any significance to the color scheme? I could not find any other propellers by US Propellers Inc., that were black with yellow tips.
            Attached Files

Comment

Anyone have any knowledge of this second propeller?

Comment

The drawing number, 96LG, is for a certificated aircraft propeller and was issued under Type Certificate number 798. Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is no listing of the aircraft for which it was designed.

It is definitely an aircraft propeller, however, not a drone prop of any kind.

Comment

Dbahnson,

Thank you for providing some more info. Would you say eBay is the best place to try and sell one? Based off of the limited info on both propellers, can you take a guess on which propeller might be more valuable (or easier to sell)? Any suggestions for an asking price for either?

I really appreciate the time and effort you all put into helping random strangers. Pretty awesome.

gvl

Comment

If I were looking to buy one I'd go for the US Propellers one. Original condition is a huge determinant of value, so with intact decals and paint it shows the condition well, even though there are dings and dents, scraped paint, and other ravages of time. Also, it may be possible with further research to identify an an aircraft for which it was designed. I just don't have that information at hand and don't know of anyone who does.
                    Dave

Comment

Propeller for sale!

Hi, GVL, I may be interested in a propeller purchase. I can be reached at msprior02@gmail.com
                      Thanks, Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X