PDA

View Full Version : Estate find: 4 propellers, need identification

Kudzu
09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I am working on liquidating a Maryland estate and there are four wooden propellers in it. Can someone help me identify these? Would they be from a specific plane or doesn't that matter?

The one by the Marilyn picture is U.S. Propellers, Inc. The rest are Sensenich Brothers.

Thank you!

Dave
09-07-2013, 04:19 PM
We're going to need a lot more information to be of any help at all. All I can tell from looking at the rather fuzzy photos is that one looks like a test club.

They should all have numbers stamped on them. That's a start, but don't ask about value unless you can show their condition.

Kudzu
09-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Thank you Dave.

The first one I'll describe is the smaller one. It's 44" long, all wood.

The numbers on it are shown in the photos, and there are numbers near the bolt holes as well: 276 17 and AO 728

One blade has the numbers and the other blade has U.S. Propellers Inc. on it.

Kudzu
09-07-2013, 07:38 PM
This propeller is 88" long. It has damage to both blades, near the tips. The wood is split, and on one of the blades it is chipped.

There is some kind of hammered metal along one side of each blade. The numbers on the blades are shown in the photo and it has an SB logo on each blade.

I'll post the other two tomorrow when there is better lighting. It's a very dark building.

Dave
09-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Thank you Dave.

The first one I'll describe is the smaller one. It's 44" long, all wood.

The numbers on it are shown in the photos, and there are numbers near the bolt holes as well: 276 17 and AO 728

One blade has the numbers and the other blade has U.S. Propellers Inc. on it.

That's a very commonly found UAV (drone) propeller. Not sure what it actually went to, but a number of them found their way into surplus stores, I think from the 50's or so.

Dave
09-07-2013, 08:15 PM
This propeller is 88" long. It has damage to both blades, near the tips. The wood is split, and on one of the blades it is chipped.

There is some kind of hammered metal along one side of each blade. The numbers on the blades are shown in the photo and it has an SB logo on each blade.

I'll post the other two tomorrow when there is better lighting. It's a very dark building.

That one is for a Grumman Widgeon.

For the Sensenich props go to this page (http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/sensenich.htm) to cross reference the drawing (design) number. The "Lititz" style decals are desirable and usually raise the value compared to the newer "Lancaster" decals.

Kudzu
09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Thank you again Dave. That helped a lot.

Kudzu
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Here is the third propeller I'm trying to identify. Aprox. 54" span.

Kudzu
09-10-2013, 01:10 PM
This is the last propeller I'm trying to identify and price. It has a 66 1/4" span.

Dave
09-10-2013, 07:02 PM
Here is the third propeller I'm trying to identify. Aprox. 54" span.

That's the "test club" used to test aircraft engines on the ground.

Dave
09-10-2013, 07:03 PM
This is the last propeller I'm trying to identify and price. It has a 66 1/4" span.

Flottorp made propellers, but that one looks as if it's been altered at the tip. It's almost worthless in that condition.

Kudzu
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Almost worthless means we can still get something for it, though. :-) People are calling about it, but especially the test club. I didn't find another one for sale, so we still haven't priced it. You're answers helped me to find info on the other two. I'm still trying to find a value for the test club and the almost worthless one. There has to be info out there some place.

Thank you very much for all your help.

alco
08-06-2014, 03:40 AM
Do you till own the test propeller?
It seems it isnīt in very good shape, isnīt it?
If you still own it, please contact me

alcoengines@gmail.com

Thank you very much

AF2014
12-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Is your 88" long propeller still for sale? I can be reached at mdzimmer@gmail.com

-Michael