Marshall Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Propeller

I have a wooden propeller that my father had since I can remember. It's a Marshall Propeller sticker on the left side and on the right it has a sticker from the MIDWESTERN AVIATION CORP. AERO REPAIR STATION NO. 83 SEYMOUR IND. It is 36" long I can't find any numbers on it there are no bolt holes. My father was born in In. in 1920 he came to NY in 1945 after the war. I'm sure this is from Indiana does anybody know anything about it. There is a center hole in it for the engine shaft. Thanks, Ken

It's VERY short for a certificated airplane. There were thousands of different models of propellers, so there is no way that yours can be identified solely on what information you have so far.

I'd start with a picture. Either it's been cut down in size or it was made for some other application than a certificated aircraft.
    Dave

Comment

wooden propeller

[ATTACH]3995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3996[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3999[/ATTACH]

It doesn't look as if someone cut this prop down but you would know better then me. can you tell anything from the pics?

Comment

just a suggestion

From what I can see in these photographs, is the fact that there isnt any shielding on the leading edges of this propellor, and the fact that it has no mounting holes drilled in it, leads me to belive that this was a promotional piece used as a form of advertising for the " marshall " company.

Its size is too small for a certificated aircraft from that time periood, and its too small for a prop used in frost protection in various orchards.

Still, its an interesting piece. Let me know if you are interested in selling it.

Sincerely,
        Dennis Hicklin
        Seattle Washington.
        Attached Files

Comment

It's a very peculiar item. I think it's the first one I've seen that had different decals on the blades, one saying "Marshall" and the other with the repair station info but the same form as the Marshall decal.

I agree that it may very well be a promotional item rather than one intended for aircraft or other use.
          Dave

Comment

wooden propeller

I'm interested in selling it but I have to do more research to see what it's worth. There's an Air power museum having an air show this weekend i'll take it there to see if anybody know's anything about it. Thanks for your help, Ken

Comment

handle with care

Something else to consider, since this piece has a certain " patina " to it and the fact that its been nicked already and one of the decals is already flaked enough to not be intact, the less this prop is touched and handled the better. The oils and acids from a variety of differnt hands of people, can only help degrade the " patina " that it has.

The fact that this was a promotional item and not truly a prop that was going to be air worthy, makes it even harder to place a value on it as far what the market will bear.

Your going to get a lot of variation on what its percieved value is, and bear in mind, its potential to be evaluated correctly at this show that your going to take it to, should in no way be the last word on what its value is. With all due respect to your prop, it appears it was never made for any aircraft and its just a promotional item for advertizing. That in itself places this prop in a category that doesnt ever command astronomical prices, so be ready to hear that from others as well.

It will be interesting to see what kind of values you are told from your further research.

As stated before, when you are ready to sell it, get in touch with me via the information listed. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your prop.

Sincerely,
              Dennis Hicklin
              Seattle Washington.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Dennis I will from what I found out so far is no one has seen one before

Comment

Working...
                X