Avro 504 WWI Wooden Propeller from 1917 with Decals in Excellent Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avro 504 WWI Wooden Propeller from 1917 with Decals in Excellent Condition

I am interested in selling my Avro 504 propeller. I bought it from Bob Gardner (from England and known to many of you) in 2008 and it is in excellent, conserved (not restored) condition, including the cloth-covered tips.

It is marked for the 504 and the 504A. The A model was the main production version made in 1915 and 1916. It would have continued in use in 1917 and 1918. Highly interesting is that the prop carries a rare calibration data table from a Royal Aircraft Factory test on 21 May 1917 and the prop hub also has a date on it, 30 June 1917, probably when it was accepted into a Stores Depot. The prop design likely dates from 1914.

Some information about the Avro 504: in November 1914 three such aircraft bombed the Zeppelin works at Friedrichshafen on the shores of Lake Constance. It was also the first plane to be shot down by the Germans, on August 22, 1944. More can be found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_504

If interested, I can be contacted at: smithe@rowan.edu

Mickey Smith
    Attached Files

Hello Smitty. I am interested and sent you an email from my work account.
    Cheers,
    Corey

Comment

Avro 504 Prop

Hi Corey,

I do have a price in mind - $3200

Here's the background:

I bought the propeller from Bob Gardner, whom you may know from this forum. I paid £1900.00 plus £387.00 for shipping and extended liability, total £2,287, which in today's dollars is $3,483 (or $3,409 if one calculates it historically for December 12, 2008, the day that I wired the money)

Dave Bahnson sold one of his for $3250 but it had problems (someone had put a clock in it). It is still on the website.

Here is an Avro 504 prop on ebay (rare in itself)- not as nice and priced almost twice as high:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW1-British-...item460dac1162

I have seen many props and owned a few, and this is my favorite, not only for its beautiful lines, but also for its wonderful condition, the best Bob Gardner had ever seen for an Avro 504 (I visited him in England once and the prop came into his hands while I was there, although I bought it later).

While I was thinking of asking more for it, I am asking less than I paid so as not to diddle.

I do have someone who is interested but he has been slow in getting back to me. If you let me know soon, I will split the shipping fee with you. (If you are close, I may be able to deliver.)

I will wait to hear from you.

Regards, Mickey Smith

Comment

Working...
      X