Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investigation on wooden propeller AXIAL

Dear all,

A friend of mine have a wooden propeller which is owned by his family for more then 30 years. Today, he would like to learn more about it and I want to help him finding some information. At a first stage I have posted some thread on another forum and members allowed me to find some information. Here is a status of our investigation.

1510 propeller serial number
    AXIAL
    FOK D 7
    160PS MOTDIII D2?? ST215
    TP 90
    EDUL ZUG

Some pictures:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We would really appreciate some assistance from an expert to finalize the identification of this propeller and its history.

I thank you all for any information you can provide us with.

Cheers,

Lionel

For some information see this link. It's very clear what it was designed and used for. Unfortunately, there is no "history" that you are likely to find about that specific propeller, as there are no records of specific usage.
    Dave

Comment

Hello Lionel,

Welcome to the forum. I congratulate you on deciphering these faint markings. I have spent many hours squinting at such squiggles trying to understand them.

The data on your prop translates as follows;

1510 serial number likely to be 1580x, possibly 15801. The nearest I have recorded is 15877 and 15064
      AXIAL The maker
      FOK D 7 The aircraft, the Fokker D VII, often stamped on props as Fok D 7, probably because it was easier.
      160PS Refers to Pferdestärke, horsepower. German horsepower is slightly different from British horsepower by about 1.5% less
      MOT DIII indicates the Motor is the DIII produced by Mercedes
      D2?? On the photograph you refer to this as 0275. It is D275 where D indicates Durchmesser, diameter which is 275cm
      ST215 Steigung, pitch 215cm
      TP 90 Axial type number, likely to be TP90E
      EDUL ZUG propeller direction of rotation in a tractor configuration. EDUL is the abbreviation for Entgegen Dem Uhrzeiger Lauf meaning against-the-direction-in-which-the-clock hand-runs; anti clockwise in English; and Zug meaning pull, or tractor in an aviation context.

The dimensions of the prop do not exactly match other known Fokker D VII props but are close, probably within the parameters allowed to a prop maker. Others are for example;
      D280 ST not known
      D278 ST 205
      D270 ST205 TP95

They match closely props made for the Junkers D I and the Pfalz D XII which used the same engine with prop serial numbers in the 18 and 19 thousands.
      Junkers D274 ST215 TP90g
      Pfalz D270 ST215 TP90G

Finally, a request again which I have made umpteen times before, without success; if anyone knows of other Axial prop types (TP) or can explain how Axial arrived at them, please let me know. I have recorded many but do not understand the nomenclature.

With kind regards,

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-18-2013, 07:28 AM.
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Lionel,

I have been using photoshop to try and read the data on your prop without much success. I cannot make out a diameter of 275, nor can I see FOK D7 nor FOK D VII. The word below the word Axial is BERLIN on almost all Axial props.

I am inclined to add that it is somewhat dispiriting to spend over an hour researching your data for you and receive no acknowledgement.
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-22-2013, 04:38 AM.
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X