Neindorf Propeller Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neindorf Propeller Wood

I am making some 1:32 scale props for my models out of maquettry wood veneer. I have Maple, Birch, Walnut and Mahogony. After several attempts, I have a been able to produce a couple Axials for Albatros and Fokker D.VII and a Heine for the Albatros.

I have your Vol 3&4 CD which has been very helpful. Unfortunately, you have not gotten to the N's yet, so I need to know what woods where used by Niendorf in props for the Mercedes powered Pfalz, Albatros and D.VII. From the photos of the two fragments, it appears to be Birch and Mahogany.

Greetings,

It's a long time since I wrote those CD's. I'm glad they are of help.

I am just finishing a series of books on German props from WW1 which will come out this coming summer. The first book will describe the German prop making industry followed by three volumes describing makers from Adastra to Wotan. These books are considerably enlarged versions of the CDs.

I have records of five props made by the Niendorf Brothers from shot down aircraft that were closely examined by the British. These will be accuate identifications of the woods.

Gotha G III
    4 walnut, 4 maple, 1 ash

aircraft nk
    8 laminations, 4 mahogany, 4 ash

Halberstadt CL IV
    7 laminations, walnut & spruce

Hannover CL III
    4 ash, 3 mahogany

Hannover CL II
    5 ash, 3 mahogany

Identification of the woods in these WW1 props today is notoriously difficult and the only certain way is to examine a thin section under the microscope.

Idflieg authorised woods as follows;
    In 1914 the preferred woods for props throughout Europe were:
    mahogany
    walnut.

By 1916, shortages of imported woods such as mahogany had increased the list of Idflieg approved woods. New additions are in red.
    mahogany
    walnut
    ash,
    teak,
    maple,
    elm,
    pine

By 1918, shortages caused by heavy war demand and by the blockade of German ports by the British Royal Navy increased the list further. New additions are in red.
    mahogany
    walnut
    ash,
    teak,
    maple,
    elm,
    pine
    birch
    spruce
    beech
    poplar
    sycamore

I'll see if I have any photographs of Niendorf props for the Mercedes engine and I'll post them later.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

This photo is the only one I have of a Niendorf prop for the 160ps Merc. The prop dimensions suggest it was used on something like the Han CL II.

Bob
      Attached Files
      Bob Gardner

Comment

I have recorded 35 Niendorf props but only five types which used the Merc 160ps engine.

Halberstadt CL II
        Halberstadt CL IV
        Hansa Brandenburg GW
        Hansa Brandenburg W32
        Hannover CL II

Do you have records of Niendorf props fitted to the Pfalz, Alb and Fok D VII? If so please let me know the details and the source of the info.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Gardner; 03-03-2013, 05:54 AM.
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob,

Thanks for all of the photos and data. I have ordered some ash veneer for my supply to use. Currently have Walnut, Birch, and Maple veneers. 7 layers covers most types. The DrI prop is thick and I had to go with 8 as this veneer does not lend itself to plainning to correct thickness. Hope to have photos once I get my first Niendorf made. Working on a couple of Axial's now. Axial's are made from Birch and Walnut.

The Wingnut Wings 1/32 scale kits have 4 propellers that come withthe Mercedes DIII fighters: Axial, Niendorff, Heine and Wolff. The instructions specify by subject aircraft which propeller to use. For example, von Muller's 'comet' Albatros D.V has a Heine, Fokker D.VII's are specified with at least 3 of the 4 types. They have some of the Pfalz D.IIIa's spected out for the Niendorf.

Comment

Working...
          X