AXIAL
    EDUL
    D265 ST165
    160PS
    TP90J
    Markings on the blades are STAND 1390 and FLZ
    Who can tell me more about it?
    Grtz
    Last edited by Geertse; 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM.

'Morgan Grtz,

Where have you found these propellers?

I can't tell you much about this prop, except that like Valerie's it is atypical. I have no prop with exactly these dimensions for a Merc 160ps engine in the 600 or so that I have recorded in my database.

The two nearest are;

D270 and St 1680 on a naval Hansa-Brandenburg GW. But STAND 1390 and FLZ indicate yours is an Army prop.

And a Hannover CL II with D2850 and St1550.

mfG,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

On a different tack, Grtz's prop is an Axial TP 90J.

I have so far failed to understand Axial type numbers. I have recorded 28 different types in the last twenty years of research and they leave me confused.

Axial allocated type numbers to its props and stamped the number on the blade. Most are binomial such as 17. Some comprise two groups such as 53 16 and 53 18 but are found on identical props. Minor variations in diameter and pitch are sometimes reflected as sub types such as 90, 90D, 90E, 90G, and 90J. But at other times similar variations do not result in the addition of a sub type letter. Not all Axial props have type numbers stamped on them. Axial prop serial numbers are not necessarily in sequence.

If you know of an Axial TP number, please tell me, together with the rest of the prop data. If you know of a reference book which explains everything, I'll send you a bottle of champagne!

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner

Comment

Prop

Hello Bob,

The only thing I don't understand is that on other German props the engine type is mentioned.
        On this one there's only 160ps not benz or another make.
        The diameter is also small for a 160ps I think.
        Could it be another engine than a MERCEDES?
        And there's only edul on it not edulzug?
        The TP90J is mentioned on the front and side of the hub.
        Tomorrow I'll take pictures.
        Unfortunately the tips of the blades have been cut and the prop has been oiled in brown color.
        I've measured it and it's only 2220mm after it has been cut.
        It's a shame but probably done long time ago for decorative purposes.
        Kind regards

Comment

Prop

I'm not sure about the ST165 could also be ST265 all the other markings are correct.
          Kind regards

Comment

'Morgan Ge erste,

You might have seen from several posts on this forum that whilst most props are correctly stamped, a small number have spelling mistakes and other errors. It occurs equally amongst British and German props.

I have come to the following conclusions;
            It was a boring job and occasionally the stamper's mind was elsewhere.
            You don't give the job to your most skilled craftsman; you probably give it to the most useless member of staff.

On your prop, 160ps is almost certainly a Mercedes. I don't know of another engine in widespread use with this power. The Benz engine had 150ps.

I haven't seen EDUL on its own before. It is the abbreviation for Entgegen Dem Uhrzeiger Lauf meaning against-the-direction-in-which-the-clock hand-runs; anti-clockwise in English; and Zug meaning pull, or tractor in an aviation context. It is common to find only ZUG on a prop because almost every German prop rotated anti-clockwise. I have never seen EDULZUG reduced to EDUL. To complete my answer DRUCK instead of Zug indicates a pusher configuration. This is sometimes reduced to DRUK.
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Prop

Morning,
              After very good inspection there might be zug behind edul.
              The only thing that i don't understand is the props diameter of only 2650.
              That seems small for the 160ps engine.
              Or it should be an error and must be 285????
              Kind regards

Comment

Prop

Is the TP90J type referred to the engine or also to the airplane.
                What specific airplane was it used on?
                Grtz

Comment

I've only seen one other which is in the Royal Armee Museum in Bruxelles. Is this the one you are describing, by chance? I have several Mercedes 160ps engines listed with diameters of 2700mm and 2750mm and with low pitches from 1550mm to 1800mm but none with a pitch of 1650mm. I don't know which aircraft it was intended for. I can't answer any more questions. You now know as much as I do!

With kind regards,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Prop

No, it's one that I own.
                    Thanks for the info.
                    I'll post te pictures later on.
                    Kind regards,

Comment