Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helice Normale propeller

Hello all forum members

Rare Helice Normale propeller from an Jero Farman HF.16 or HF.20 from the early Belgian Air Force about 1912-1914. Length 245 cm. These Farmans were built by the firm Bollekens in the area of Antwerp. Engine 80hp Gnome rotary. The propeller has a typical shape that holds the middle between a Ratmanoff and Chauviere design.
    More information and photos on request.

Greetings from Holland,
    Gert
    Attached Files

Hi Gert,

Interesting propeller... I hardly read the markings (perhaps KEY 30 7718 ) on your picture IMG_0507. Could you post a clear close-up of them? Are those markings on the intrados or the extrados (= are they visible on picture IMG_0505 or on IMG_0504)?
    One more question about markings: they are often repeated at the root of one blade on Normale propellers. Is it the case?

And finally a "general" question: why do you think it is from a Farman?

Regards,
    PM

Comment

Did you mean to post this in the "Selling" category?

If you, could you list the price, please?
      Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,

the markings are: KCF 30 3718. (See enclosed better picture). I then had the luck two of these propellers to buy from an grandson of a old pilot of the Belgian Air Force. His grandfather flew the Farman Hf.16 and Hf.20. I've seen pictures of the plane with propeller. Sadly i have no copy, its is long ago. Enclosed another picture of an Belgian farman. The marking 'Helice Normale is visible at picture IMG_0504, i think it is 'extrados'. (pusher propeller). Only at one side.
        It looks the propeller is shortened, but it isn't, this is the original length and shape.
        Because i have two of them i want sell one. My asking price is 1750,- euro,
        about 2330 American Dollar.

Greetings Gert
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Gert,

Normale propellers and Ratmanoff are the same (Normale is the trademark of Ratmanoff props designed by Drzewiecki).
          You are right, the prop is not shorten: serial KCF appears in a January 1914 Ratmanoff data sheet as being 2450 millimeters long (you sent me pictures of this KCF-30 prop in August 2010, but I had not the data sheet then).
          Perhaps 2 of the 4 corners had been a little rounded (Ratmanoff props had quite square tips), but it is not annoying for a century old propeller. This serial (KCF) was made for 80HP Gnome engines rotating at 1200rpm. So, the Farman origin could be true, even if Ratmanoff data don't give a clue for that.

For my database, could you give the markings of your other one?

Your price seems very correct and I would be interested, but we already have one Ratmanoff of this era in very fine original condition.

Regards,
          PM

Comment

Hi PM,
            First the best wishes for 2013!
            My other propeller is marked: KCF 34 - 3724. It has the original Helice Normale decals. The shape of the two propellers are exactly the same. I think they are not extra rounded. The lenght is a little longer 246 cm. Tomorrow i wil post some detail photo's.
            Gretings Gert

Comment

Working...
            X