Half Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Prop

I recently acquired a half prop. It is 48" long from hub to tip. It used to be an 8 bolt hub (haha). no markings what so ever. I see places were it looks ID markings used to be (one spot near the hub and the other in the middle of the backside of the blade). It also has "bumps" throughout the entire prop. They can be seen better near the hub. The "bumps" feel like a walnut antiskid or antislip material. That's not what it is, but, thats what it feels like. I read that servicemen cut them in half to ship them home. I do not understand why this one was cut diagonally. I do not plan on restoring it. I would like it to look better, but, I do not want to take away the "antique look". Any and all info is appreciated. I just found a number on the bottom of the hub: KI000F.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by c5mastercrewdawg; 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM.

There is clearly a limit to what can be done with that, and clearly a limit to its value no matter what you do.
    Dave

Comment

hmmm

Whats your take on the diagonal cut? The value of this piece to me, is not on the monetary side, but, the story behind it. I understand that no one will know the story of this piece. The biggest perplexity for me is the way it was cut. If i could just find out why. haha. I know, I may never find out. This is a great conversation piece and it will look great on the "i love me" wall. I think i want to clean the brass tip up a bit, so it shows better. What would be the best cleaning solution for it? I don't think I want to mess with the wood at all.

Comment

Help

All help is greatly appreciated

Comment

a suggestion

Hello from Dennis Hicklin in Seattle WA.

Ok, its obvious you dont want to sell it, and if you did, it wont bring much, ok that is established. Here is a suggestion for you to consider. Bear in mind, to do this isnt easy and its time consuming, and it might require more money invested in it than you care to part with. All that being said, consider this.

First of all, dont clean anything on it, just leave it alone, you cant ever remanufacture patina.

If the half prop were mine, this is what i would do with it.

Since it cant ever be air worthy again, and if it hangs on a wall, it doesnt move, but it can be made to move again with some simple modification. After weighing the prop to get the weight of it, I would fashion a section out of brass or aluminum to complete the circle of what the original hub looked like. ( I have access to a machine shop, so this makes it easy for me).

The bottom line is this. Once the weight has been established, the goal is to make the new piece that attaches to the hub, using the existing holes already in the hub. The hub with the addition of a counter balance that matches the blade but the mass is close into the hub. I would then capture the hub on a precision spindle and hang it in a U shaped bracket so that the half blade can spin at the slightest touch. Its litterally a piece of kinetic sculpture comprised of a half blade.

Still with me on this? Well that is about it. As stated, its more spendy than what the blade is worth, but I have a soft spot in my heart for cut or damaged props, its a cool way to let them live again and be able to spin and not just be a static piece on the wall.

Ok heavy sigh, but its just a suggestion.

Sincerely,
          Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Wa.
          Attached Files

Comment

Is there a way to run the part number I found? I do have access to machine shop. I am still a flightline mechanic in the Air Force and my buddies are machinests.

Comment

simple question ?

Let me ask you this simple question. In regards to the age of your half prop, just what would you do with what ever information you have gleaned from the section that you have, and if its a part number rather than a design number, what will you gain from it if I may ask? Or is it just out of curiosity in regards to various list's that may or may not have any further information about the prop in general?

Sincerely,
              Dennis Hicklin
              Seattle Washington.
              Attached Files

Comment

Good idea

Well, since I have access to a machine shop, we have a metal engraving machine and I would fabricate a plaque with all pertinent info about the prop and display it with the prop. Not only that, I'm not the kind of person to own something and know nothing about it. It comes from my heritage of aviation and I would like a lil piece of history for myself.

Comment

clairification !

OK, I see where you are going with this now. Indeed, I can appreciate the idea of knowing what you have. But good luck with that, I hope some of the pros on this site are able to help you with that noble goal. I would like to see how you display the half prop when you get it all figured out.

Sincerely,
                  Dennis Hicklin
                  Seattle Wa.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you

Thank u for all of your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X