• Show
Clear All

• Rare Prop?

Rare Prop? Markings on Hub: 180-200 & 160
    PS-178 MERCEDES
    ST 200
    D 280

1/2 bolt holes

is it a rare Fokker D.V11 for the Mercedes D.111au Engine Not Sure, need your help.

Very Good Condition, Not rot, not nicks, original finish,
    Last edited by mikerog; 01-11-2013, 05:18 PM. Reason: Prop Identified for Fokker D V11

German props can be tough to identify. Got a photo? Decals, or maybe a manufacturer's stamp?
    Dave

Comment

Rare Prop?

additional information on Prop

NO.16246

Comment

Rare Prop Blade Picture with Markings
        Attached Files

Comment

Rare Prop: HUB MARKINGS PICTURE
          Attached Files

Comment

Got one of the whole prop? Something looks a little atypical about the wood for a German prop, but it's hard to tell on the limited image.
            Last edited by Dave; 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM.
            Dave

Comment

Rare Prop?

Dave, two pictures of the full prop, one side is smoother and cleaner that the other, markings are on the cleaner side, only markings on opposite side are like the below: a & sign over a number 3

&
              Attached Files

Comment

Rare Prop?

Additional side view picture shows 8 layers of laminated wood.
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what it was used for. As I say German props (if this one is indeed German) can be hard to identify. Here's an actual DVII prop using the Mercedes engine, and you'll note that it's a different length and pitch than yours is.

Positive ID will be hard, I think. Speculation can be endless.
                  Dave

Comment

Dave, can you point me towards the information that you have saying your prop is actual, for a Fokker D. V11, I could compare notes. I realize they are different, based on what you show. But so far, many sources I have researched indicate the specs on my prop are a match for the Fokker D. V11. Also, did you get a chance to check out the serial number?

Comment

On mine the aircraft/engine usage is clearly stamped on the propeller itself. Many props simply have diameter and pitch (sort of like a tire size on a car) and could have been used on any number of different aircraft.

I don't have a list of serial numbers. I wish I did. But you'd also have to know the manufacturer to make serial numbers useful.
                      Dave

Comment

German Prop

Dave, does the PS-178 MERCEDES say anything about what type of plane it might have been on? I understand there were four prop makers at the time,

Axial, Wolfe, Heine, Wotan

Comment

Example typo

Hi Dave I noticed in your Axial ( 19904 ) picture the Prop is stamped TP 1862 in your photo it says TP-1863 looks like a typo. thanks for sending the pics along

Comment

Originally posted by mikerog View Post
                            Hi Dave I noticed in your Axial ( 19904 ) picture the Prop is stamped TP 1862 in your photo it says TP-1863 looks like a typo. thanks for sending the pics along
                            Yep, it's a typo. Thanks, I'll fix it.
                            Dave

Comment

Prop Identified

The Following information has been provided to me by Bob Gardner, with Bob's permission I have added his input to the Wooden Propeller Forum.

"Afternoon Mike
                              Thank you for this data which I have added to my database.

Your prop has a distinctive shape which identifies the maker as Wolff of Berlin. The dimensions are also distinctive and are for the Fokker DVII, an iconic German fighter of 1918. I have seen several similar Wolff props, one with the serial number of 16424, which is quite close to yours. It seems likely that your prop was made for a Fokker DVII built at OAW."

With kind regards,

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X