Heine Propeller Family Treasure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heine Propeller Family Treasure

This is a story some of you may find interesting. I am a immigrant to the United States, I came here in 1977 from Germany. I have always heard stories about my great grandfathers vineyard in Nierstein Germany, especially about a large wooden propeller that used to hang in his lobby. Over a period of about five years I managed to track down the people that bought the house in 1939 and the woman who grew up in the house who was a classmate of my fathers. Turns out she removed the propeller from the house when they sold it to the current owner and it has been in her basement for years. After two visits to germany she was kind enough to agree to sell it to me. Now I have the propeller in my house in the states, it is a piece of family history that I am now privileged to have. It has witnessed two wars an american occupation of the house and was in the possession of my great grandfather and my grandfather both of whom I never had the privilege to know. I will try to attach some pictures to try to identify what plane it may have been on a long time ago, also I am interested in making some kind of authentic looking spinner or brass cover plate for the hub. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely, Frank Feldmann
    Attached Files

That is a beautiful propeller, Frank, and it sounds like it has a great sentimental story to go with it.
    You did a good job with the photos and what I am able to easily read from them is this:

9191 DVI octagon logo/mark _____ 1370

200PS
    BENZ
    D300
    ST180
    HEINE
    ?2549
    ?

If you could add any more information I'm sure the experts here will be able to tell you lots about what you have. The more you can type out here, the better (for example you should be able to fill in the blanks that I couldn't easily read). Also, the diameter of the hub, the length of the propeller tip to tip, and a few more pictures of the hub showing the bolt holes and any other identification would go a long way. It also looks like there is another round piece there next to the propeller - a picture or description of that wouldn't hurt either.

Happy holidays!

Comment

Also, a close up photo of the front and the back of the hub would help. It looks as if 4 of the holes are bigger than the other 4, bringing up the possibility that it used a Rupp fastener rather than a standard bolted hub assembly.

I wouldn't start building a replica hub just yet. Ultimately, it would be nice to have a real or at least authentic looking steel hub that was identical to what was actually used on that propeller.
      Dave

Comment

Originally posted by MGChuck View Post
        That is a beautiful propeller, Frank, and it sounds like it has a great sentimental story to go with it.
        You did a good job with the photos and what I am able to easily read from them is this:

9191 DVI octagon logo/mark _____ 1370

200PS
        BENZ
        D300
        ST180
        HEINE
        ?2549
        ?

If you could add any more information I'm sure the experts here will be able to tell you lots about what you have. The more you can type out here, the better (for example you should be able to fill in the blanks that I couldn't easily read). Also, the diameter of the hub, the length of the propeller tip to tip, and a few more pictures of the hub showing the bolt holes and any other identification would go a long way. It also looks like there is another round piece there next to the propeller - a picture or description of that wouldn't hurt either.

Happy holidays!
        Thanks for your reply, The word in front of 1370 is Standrehzahl meaning RPM.
        The letter N25491, some kind of logo under that I will try some tracing paper. It is mounted, therefore not possible to take photos from the back until I have someone to help me get off the beam. Length is 3 meters 10. About 10 ft. The bigger holes in the hub are from it being hung from the ceiling to recess the washers which is unfortunate. The other piece laying by it was a wooden mount for lightbulbs which I removed. Any help is appreciated to determine what the spinner should look like. The hub is 8 holes 10 inches diameter the center bore is 3.5 inches.

Comment

Hey Feld1128,

The bottom line of that "logo" looks like it reads "D. Berlin". Still working on the top word, possibly "Waidmannslust".

Dan S

Comment

I will try to get a better shot in the daylight and post. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkali Jones View Post
              Hey Feld1128,

The bottom line of that "logo" looks like it reads "D. Berlin". Still working on the top word, possibly "Waidmannslust".

Dan S
              Here is a better picture of the logo
              Attached Files

Comment

If anyone can make suggestions about what the hub or spinner should look like I would appreciate it.

Happy Holidays

Comment

I think a museum would be the place to start on that, or possibly posting a request on http://www.theaerodrome.com. A fellow named Achim Engels was very active in Fokker aircraft/engine/propellers but evidently he has thrown in the towel on that activity.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X