Propeller fence posts!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller fence posts!!!

Can anyone identify which engine/aircraft this propeller is from?
    This is one of at least twelve. The skin is a translucent resin material and the rivets are iron based! I presume they are in the leading edge judging by the skin overlap. I am told that others known about have a hub ring which is at the buried end and for some time was a common sight in Cheshire, UK[/img]

Weird!

I don't think there's any way they will be identified by the blade alone. It might be a single blade from a variable pitch prop, meaning it could have come from a 2 blade or multi-blade hub. The construction looks like 1940's, but that's just a guess.

Comment

...it has all the looks of a spitfire propeller... jesus.....

The picture below is a modern spitfire propeller, but the one of the picture you posted looks like a wartime issue, with the armored leading edge... I still can't belive it, if I was driving around there I would go off track while staring at those!!!

Alex

Comment

Propeller fence posts were common sights in the UK after both world wars. I have heard of WW1 props used in Cheshire in the 1920's. And several people have told me of WW1 propeller post fences in Yorkshire, between Leeds and York and also on the hill side at Whitby. These existed in living memory so must have survived from 1920 or so through to at least the 1950's. As props are waterproof I suppose they last longer than an ordinary fence post.

Your prop blade is of a late or post WW2 design. Quite often blades of this type turn out to be from Royal Navy Seafires.

Do any other forumites know of props used as fences?

With regards for the New Year,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X